P h o t o #50 - Baby Steps

Start from the beginning

It didn't take a rocket scientist to observe how strange Elliot was acting whenever Emma was in the premises, it also intrigued me when I noticed how bothered Emma seemed to be due to Elliot's constant shunning. I mean we all knew he had mood swings every once in awhile, but this one just took the cake and ran with it.

What was strange to me was seeing Emma seem so outwardly upset by it all. She may be sensitive to a lot of things, but when it pertained to us she always was able to voice her concerns even if it took her some time to warm up to the idea. I almost felt bad for her when I watched her deflate after failing at holding a small conversation with Elliot these past two weeks, and it almost had me wishing I could knock a thing or two into that boy's head for making her feel that way.

Another thing that had my emotions all tossed up came into view, causing my eyes to scan over my ever chirpy little brother as he spoke with a pair of bubbly twins a year older than me. I had almost forgotten that Cooper had his own set of unspoken feelings for Emma, and the remembrance hit me like a ton of bricks.

Again a pain shot through my chest, and I felt awful for doubting my lovable brother, but I knew exactly what caused the sudden shift in my mind.

Like I said, I was no rocket scientist, but I knew when two people had an undeniable attraction towards each other better than the next college-aged girl, and the mere thought of Cooper heart broken at the hands of my best friend sent a whole new wave of feelings over me.

I'd never be mad at Emma for her decision, it was her life, and if she didn't feel 100% the same towards my brother then I wouldn't want her committing to him. I knew she wouldn't do that either; Emma wasn't that kind of person. I knew I would be saddened at seeing Cooper's first love fall through either way, even if all of my worrying would trouble him.

I ran a hand down my bare arm, only now shuddering as the breeze continued to flow into the raving home. I was at a party, a place to have a good time and forget about the woes of everyday life, and yet I was still allowing all of this to get to me at such an unwarranted time.

'I need something to warm me up.' I looked to the crowd again, trying to put my tangled thoughts behind me as I searched for an opening in the crowd as the slower song playing ceased and a new, faster song took its place inside the many booming speakers. The crowd dancing in the oversized living room specially cleared of furniture for the purpose of the fancy floor cheered, they're fist pumping as if they were attending a concert. I watched as more people flooded the area, grabbing friends and giggling as some girls even kicked off their shoes in order to dance. Even if this party required minor formalities due to Tanner's secret love of girls in cocktail dresses, that didn't stop the fun and silliness of a normal party one bit.

Finally, an opening appeared before me, right next to Cooper and the boys as the girls they conversed with before clearly tried talking them into a dance. I would've laughed at the troubled looks on their faces due to the fact that none of them were really that big with dancing with girls they barely knew if I hadn't been so put off by my brooding emotions at the time.

Immediately I made my way past them, barely even registering the side glance I got from a certain set of blue irises that somehow managed to glow under the constantly changing colored lights above. I made my way to the kitchen like my life depended on it, my ears drowning in the deafening music as I pushed past to rowdy frat boys that didn't mind making comments about my bottom as I walked by.

I didn't need two greasy, hormonal guys telling me I looked "smoking" in my dress to make me feel validated. I already knew I did.

As soon as the many blue coolers lining a wall in the vast kitchen came into sight, I popped the lid open on one and pulled out the first beer I saw, not even caring to check the label. Snatching one of the many tab openers off the table next to me, I opened the fizzing drink and took a swig. The burn as it ran down my throat woke me up a bit, my alertness returning to me after those sluggish few minutes before.