8 January 2008

Mum-

I saw your grave for the first time today. The stone isn't even the nicest one they've got. It's not a nice, shiny granite like you deserve-it's probably just some slab of old stone they found in a junkyard, or something.

I graduate uni in two more months, then I'm off to America. I'm sorry, I know you always wanted me to stay in England, but I can't. I'll be better off there, I know it. And you always said you wanted what I wanted, right?

"What are you doing?"

I drop the book, jumping at Harry's voice. I swallow at his angry eyes.

"You just couldn't help yourself, could you?" He snaps, snatching up the book and tucking it under his arm. "You ignore me for a week and half, and then you go and snoop around in something that's clearly not yours?"

I look at my hands. "I was just-"

"Curious. I know." He turns on his heel and stalks out of the break room, leaving me to think about the short entry I read.

Letters. Of all things, he was writing letters.

Are they all to his mother?

My old nagging sense of curiosity is tingling in the back of my brain, itching to be soothed.

That short confrontation was the only time Harry and I spoke.

I sigh as I pull my gloves off, throwing them onto the couch as I enter my apartment. I think I'm catching a cold, my nose is stuffed up and my throat hurts. I need to run to the pharmacy to get some medication, or something.

I hang my coat in the closet and turn around to walk into the living room, gasping at the sight before me.

Aaron sits calmly on my sofa.

"Hi," He greets me.

I furrow my brow, fear beginning to pump though me. "What are you doing here?" I ask. "How did you get in? what---"

"Please Rosie, one question at a time." He gestures for me to sit in the armchair next to the couch.

I carefully sit. "How did you get in here?" I ask slowly.

"I've known how to jimmy a lock since I was thirteen."

"Why are you here?"

"We need to have a little chat."

I swallow.

He leans forward. "Rosie, what do you know about Wolfe Enterprises?"

"Nothing."

"False."

I clench my jaw. "I don't know what to tell you, Aaron. I have no connections whatsoever to Wolfe Enterprises, whatever it is."

"But you do have connections to Harry."

"No." I feel a pang in my chest. "No, I don't."

"Then take my uncle's offer. You're valuable, Rose. We could educate you about Wolfe, and you could make a lot of money out of it."

I shake my head. "Come on, what have you got to lose?"

"I'm not doing it."

"You'd be Alec's closest executive, next to myself. You'd get anything you want."

"Aaron, I'm not doing it, and if you think you can just barge in here and force me into things, you're wrong!" I stand.

"I know you and Harry haven't been speaking," He says lowly, standing from his seat. "I know you're too proud to tell him to come after me if I were to do anything now."