Chapter three (OLD)

Standing in the cold in the frozen wind,
I'm leaving you behind but it's not the end
No.

3.

Shock clouded Seraphina's mind. She could not speak, couldn't breathe as she stared at the dead body and the murder scene kept replaying in her mind. A huge wolf came in through the window and boom, Lucas' chosen mate was dead. Though Seraphina was not disturbed by the blood or the body. The thing she found strangest was the way the wolf looked into her eyes. At first, he didn't notice her, did his thing, but once he was aware of her presence, he almost looked like he felt guilty, regretting the murder, or at least the fact that she saw what he did.

The wolf was abnormally large, his muscles showed through the dense brown fur with specks of white in it. Seraphina had never seen a Lycan before, they were extremely rare and mostly located in the south, but the wolf was bigger than an Alpha werewolf! That's something she didn't see often.

A ferocious growl pulled Seraphina out of her thoughts as she noticed her brother in his wolf form, shaking. He could barely stand and his eyes, the calm golden eyes Lucas had, were filled with rage. His pupils were so tiny he looked as if he was insane and ready to murder his own sister.

The door was split in half and Lucas dashed through the split, leaving Seraphina behind. Shortly after, Seraphina shifted into her own ashy blonde wolf and darted after him, the only thing on her mind was to bring back sanity to her brother - something she had done many times before.

The members of her pack looked out their windows in confusion to why their Luna was chasing the Alpha. With each stride, the distance between them grew since Seraphina wasn't as strong as Lucas who trained every day.

When Lucas crossed their eastern border, it finally dawned upon Seraphina. He was going to Roman's territory and there was nothing she could do to stop or save him. If he made an offensive move, he was dead. Lycans had no mercy, that was very well known.

As she entered the lycan's territory, Lucas was long gone from her sight so she lowered her speed to a trot, following his scent, which was already mixing with other scents.

Well hello there, miss. You just couldn't stay away from my charm, huh? Roman's deep voice sent shivers down her spine. Her heart rate increased drastically as shadowy forms of wolves began to circle her.

Roman, please, don't hurt him. Seraphina pleaded in her mind, unsure if he heard her. Communicating with wolves from other packs was a challenging task.

The moment she pleaded those words, a heart-wrenching howl erupted from Lucas's chest as his life was extinguished. Sorrow clenched Seraphina's chest and she was done. She had nothing left apart from her half crazy father. The realization hit her like a truck and she collapsed on the ground, staring at the grass in disbelief.

Welcome to the Avalo pack, miss. If you behave, you might not become an Omega. I know you were Luna in your former pack, but I am afraid you're not getting such a high rank here. Don't worry though, you'll have plenty of time to adjust.

How kind of you. She spat, her words blank and without emotion. She was done fighting. Emptiness filled her heart and she just stared at the ground as the wolves who circled her came closer and closer until she had nowhere to run.

I'll be expecting your former pack's members to be transferred here. His calm voice irritated her and the way he spoke about her pack, her family triggered something inside of her. Who gave him the right to invade, kill entire packs and Alphas? No, she would not bow to this monster. She vowed to get revenge for Lucas once she got back to her pack.

The part where she had to get back to her territory was the only thing that seemed impossible. All around her were huge male wolves who towered over her, making her feel smaller than she already was.

Which proved to be an advantage. Seraphina's small frame darted under one of the wolves' legs and just like that, she broke out of the circle. It took them a few moments to realize that a small female wolf had just tricked them. Growls and snarls erupted from their chests as they began chasing her.

Seraphina ran for her life, dodging trees and ducking under fallen ones. She could finally spot the border of her territory, but there was one thing blocking her from escaping and it forced her to come to a stop.

The same lycan she saw murder Beatrice now stood in front of her.

It seems I underestimated you, miss. Don't think I'm giving up on you though. My pack and I will be attending this year's run, so I will see you there... Alpha Seraphina. A smirk flashed across the wolf's snout as Seraphina made the connection. The wolf who killed Beatrice was Roman.

He stepped out of her path and she made her way back to her territory, still in disbelief and confused about a lot of things. Her brother was dead. Roman killed both her brother and his mate. The reason why was quite obvious. Kill the Alpha, the rest of the pack will fall.

There was one thing which she didn't get at all - how did she survive?

-

Once she had a hot shower and got dressed, it was time to take on her new responsibilities as Alpha. Of course, no one in the pack knew that Lucas was dead yet, not even Gavin, the Beta.

It was Gavin's turn to lead the midnight patrol tonight and the moon shone brightly above her head as she exited the cabin and went on a search for Gavin. Her white dress flowed in the night breeze, which did its part in calming Seraphina down. She needed a clear, sharp and logical mind right now.

A large wolf trotted up to her, its confused look asked 'why are you here?'.

"Oh, Gavin... I messed up this time. I couldn't save him.." Seraphina kneeled down on the grass and tears started falling onto Gavin's soft fur.

Comforting her, Gavin licked her cheeks and nuzzled her neck with his snout, not asking questions.

"Can we talk? I brought you a pair of shorts so if you would put them on it would be great," she asked, placing the military green shorts in front of him.

She waited a few minutes as Gavin shifted and came back to her from the woods. His soft skin was slightly sweaty so it glistened in the moonlight, making his defined muscles show even more, but what stood out most was his crescent moon shaped scar on his cheek. The moon was unforgiving to those who broke her rules.

He sat down before her and took her hands, enveloping them with his own.

"What happened Seraphina, what happened out there?" Gavin spoke softly, concern visible in his voice.

Seraphina broke down. She pretended to be strong, not showing her pack members that she was broken inside. She cried and Gavin held her, his warm body made her feel safe and at home.

"He's dead, Gavin. You're Alpha now," Seraphina whispered, trying to maintain a calm voice.

"Sera, I was born to aid my Alpha, not be one. I'm a Beta at heart. I will help you with anything you need, but you'll have to take up this responsibility." There was a moment of silence after his words as Seraphina didn't know whether to accept her duties or not.

"Gather the pack. We need to let them know the news."

A.N. The run is getting closer! Hope you're ready because I know Sera isn't. Also, do you guys want more Roman in the next chapter or a new character? Let me know c: