Chapter Three

"Done." I placed the packet down on her desk.

"Its only been," she checks her watch and her eyes go big as she adds," 20 minutes!"

"Okay. Great, more time to read at home. Bye." I walk out of the classroom fast so she couldn't refuse.

Walking home was a struggle..

The pounding rain against my body was horrible. Not to mention i was wearing a skater dress. Trying to run in boots with heels is harder than imagined.

Walking into my warm, cozy home was such a relief.

I walk over to the couch and put my books on it. If my parents were here, they would kill me.

I live with my mom, April, my father, Daniel, and my twin sister, Kaylen.

My mom works at the hospital 2 hours away so she stays until 6 at night and doesnt get home until 8... On a good day.

My father works at a big time law firm. He stays pretty late. I dont really have much of a relationship with him.

And kaylen, well, shes the total opposite of me. Cheerleader. Parties, pep rallies, hangouts, everything. So i only see her at night and rarely speak to her at school.

So now its just me. Jaylen Kate. Stuck at home by herself.

I check the clock and see its 4 pm. School gets out at 2:50, i had detention for 20 minutes and it took fourty minutes to get home in the rain. Yay me.

I walk upstairs and strip out of my drenched clothes and get in the hot bath.

The warmth soothes my tensed muscles and I enjoy it.

But everything good must come to an end. So stepping out of the bath was horrible.

I walk to my closet and pick out a pair of flannel pajamas and get dressed. I then walk downstairs to the huge kitchen and make some dinner.

"Hot cheetos, ham sandwhich, and dr. Pepper it is. Mom would kill me." I say to myself. My parents are big time strict. No junk food allowed. But I manage sneak it in and hide it in the pantry.

I sit down at the couch and eat (once again, another thing I'd get killed for).

After three episodes of Pretty Little Liars, there is a soft knock at our oak front door.

I walk over quietly and look through the hole.

"Macy!" I say as I open the door, pulling Macy in for a huge hug.

Macy is my best friend of Kindergarten. She moved to California in eighth grade and now its our junior year and she is visiting for the first time.

"Jayjay!" She says, hugging back tightly.

"I have missed you so much!" I say to her, closing the door as she walks in.

"Me too. But there is some bad news." Macy says, sitting on the couch.

"Tell me. Just blurt it out." I reply, keeping my smile on.

"Okay ..." she starts. I gesture for her go keep going but stop when she adds,"My family is dead."

"Wait.. What?"