4: Oh Captain, My Captain

Au: Pirate!Steve, Sailor!Bucky.

Warnings: voilence.

Words: 971 (including the AN's and warning panels.)

*****

It had been a few days since they'd first started noticing. Jim saw it first. A small, black shape at the end of the horizon. It had worried them, but not too much. They saw other ships very often and it was nothing new. When they did start worrying, was after two days, when it became clear the (now slightly bigger) shape was following them. It stayed unmoving at their horizon. After three days, they'd met on the deck and held a converstation about it. They'd come to the conclusion that they'd let it go for now, and see what it was. Sure, there was pirates in these waters, but pirate attacks were not as common as one might think. After six days, it started to become clear that this ship had no good intentions. It was now close enough to be able to examine the weaponary and technique of the ship, and they had come to the conclusion that it was indeed a pirate ship. Now, they regretted not acting earlier. They turned their ship, heading for the nearest coast, but so did the pirate ship. At the seventh day, the ship had grown worryingly bigger at their horizon, they could now watch it with bare eyes. On the ninth day, the ship was so close they could hear the crew shouting whenever they glanced the ship's way. There had been no sign of a Captain yet. On the tenth day, they attacked.

It had come unexpected, even with the four men on watch. It came in the dark, when the clouds blocked the moon. Jim had been dead before he'd even noticed anything. But his strangled cry when he died, maybe as a warning, woke the rest. Now, they weren't trained to fight, but they weren't totally helpless either. They armed themselves with knifes, with hooks and bare fists. But they didn't stand a chance.

Bucky saw it all go by in a blur, playing over and over in his head as he sat on the dirty cell floor on the pirate's ship. The memory wouldn't leave him alone. Over and over, he saw Natalia get stabbed in her stomach, he saw Dum Dum's throat beind slid. Over and over he watched his best friend, Brock, being slashed over his chest, blood coloring his blouse. And over and over he had to watch how his remaining crew got killed in front of him, while he screamed his lungs out and fought against the pirate's grips on his arms. But it had been no use, they were all gone now. He had been dragged to the other ship, forced to watch his own ship with the bodies of his dead crewmembers go up in flames. His S.S Starchaser, his pride.

He wasn't quite sure how he ended up in a cell, huddled together in a ball. But he vagually remembered screaming and crying and kicking around him and he figured the crew had had no other choice than to put him down here. No-one had come visit him in days, no other sounds than the waves against the ship could be heard. But he didn't mind, he'd rather starve to death down here, grieving for his crew and ship, than waste any more breath on those filthy pirates. But of course, that was not how it went.

After four days of crying, starving and getting hope and giving up, someone finally came down. He heard the footsteps down the stairs, the key that turned the lock, but he didn't have the energy to look up. He kept sitting there, face pressed to his knees. The person walked close to him, then he could hear the rustling of fabric and the creaking of leather when the person squatted down in front of him. He still didn't look up. A hand moved to his face, pushing his hair back, then sliding under his chin to lift his head and the next moment he was staring straight into the bluest eyes he'd ever seen. His gaze travelled down the man's face, up his cheekbones, followed the line of his lips, then flickered up again to meet the stranger's eyes. Had he finally died? Did an angel come get him? The man's lips tugged up in a smile, and his words shattered Bucky's hopes on saviour again.

"Did we finally tame you?" The man asked, tilting Bucky's head from side to side, thumb brushing over Bucky's lips and he clacked his tongue "you look horrible." He commented, but didn't look like he was awaiting an answer so Bucky kept quiet.

The man let go of his chin, pulling his hand back but Bucky kept staring at him. "Well, I guess I could say welcome to my ship but you haven't quite got a warm welcome." The man chuckled. Did he think this was funny? He kept silent. "You're not much of a talker." The man continued, but didn't seem to mind Bucky's silence.

Then he held out his hand "I'm Steve" he introduced himself, but Bucky didn't grab his hand. He found this stranger intimidating and scaring and he wondered why he couldn't be left alone in his misery.

"You may, or not, have noticed I'm the captain." Steve continued, not seeming bothered at all by the fact that Bucky hadn't taken his hand. Maybe he hadn't actually expected him to take it in the first place. "I'm Captain Steve Rogers, but call me Steve. Or Captain, both is good." The blonde smiled. Then looked down Bucky's bruised, here and there bleeding and starving body.

"Let's get you cleaned up."

*****

End of part one. Should I make a part two? Or nah? Tbh, I really want to 😅