Chapter 6

CHAPTER SIX

"I'm sorry, by the way," Adam says.

I look up and notice the tall brown haired guy looking at me. The rest of the gang are a few steps away, talking with a group of girls about their age, maybe a little bit younger.

"Sorry for what?" I reply.

"For upsetting you, earlier."

"Oh..." I look to the ground. "It was nothing, really. It's fine."

He puts his finger under my chin and lifts it gently, looking straight into my eyes.

"I really didn't mean to upset you," he says.

I subtly swipe his hand off and look back towards the group.

"It's fine, really," I say, a little bit distracted.

I see Montparnasse flirting with a dark haired girl and, I don't know why, but I just feel like turning my hands into fists by my side and going to tap her on the shoulder to introduce myself.

Adam then puts his hand on my arm and I shove it off again. He tries again on the other side. I don't know what he's trying to do. On the fifth attempt, I'm more than annoyed and spin in a flash to face him.

"Okay, what's the deal?" I ask, harshly.

"You have pretty eyes," he simply answers.

"What?"

And that's when he leans and... kisses me. Yes, he is actually kissing me. I shove him off really hard and stare straight at him.

"What the hell was that?" I shout.

"Oh, come on, pretty face."

He leans in again and this time my hand flies out and slaps him right on the cheek. He freezes, anger rising up on his face.

"You freaking bitch," he lets out.

I back up a few steps.

"You stay away from me," I say. "You stay damn far away."

I walk away as I hear him calling out my name. I cross my arms across my chest and look to the ground, passing right pass the rest of the guys.

"Hey, 'Ponine!" I hear Montparnasse shout. "Where are you going?"

But I just continue walking.

"'Ponine!" I feel his hand on my arm, squeezing tight. "'Ponine, wait."

"What?"

I turn around and suddenly his face completely changes. His smile fades away as he lets go of my arm.

"'Ponine, what's wrong?"

"I'm fine," I reply.

But even I don't believe myself. I feel tears coming up behind my eyes as I turn to leave.

"You can't lie to me," he says.

"I just... I have to go."

He shakes his head.

"Alright," he says. "Just promise me one thing." He pauses. "Promise me that you won't go home."

"'Parnasse..." I start.

"'Ponine, you know what Monsieur Thénardier is-"

"'Parnasse," I repeat firmly. "You don't get to decide what I do or don't do."

He's caught off guard. A million things must be running through his mind right now. I mean, I know he's right, but what other choice do I have? I certainly don't want to stay here with Adam lurking around. I'd rather face my Papa once and for all. I can't run away from him all my life.

"I... I know that," he finally replies. "Fine, then promise me you'll be careful, alright? Like you always are."

I nod slowly and turn to walk away.

"I'll see you around, alright?" Montparnasse says. "I'll be here."

"I know," I let out.

I walk away as I can feel his eyes glued on me. I turn the corner and spot a group of guys coming up the streets. I quickly shift towards the other side of the street. I don't want to see anymore guys right now.

They arrive at my level as I look up and my gaze crosses with another one's. Marius'. He looks at me as if I'm a complete stranger and turns away, continuing his conversation with his friends.

They're all students, it's clearly visible by the clothes they're wearing. Montparnasse was right. I don't belong in their world. And clearly, Marius doesn't want me in it.

I look back in front and spot it. Papa's inn. I cross my arms across my chest and bite my lower lip. This is it. I don't know what's going to happen once I lay my foot in the doorway, but I'm going to find out soon enough.

Concentrate, 'Ponine, I tell myself. You can do this. Just breathe. It's just as usual. It's just a routine thing.

I take a deep breath as I arrive in front of the door. I close my eyes before raising my hand. I knock two times, faintly. After a few seconds, which seem like eternity, the door flies open. And guess who's in the doorway.

"You," Papa hisses. "You, come here."

I don't resist when he grabs me by the arm and pulls me inside. Two words are running on a loop in my head.

Just breathe...