Chapter 8: Me And My Big Mouth

Start from the beginning

"Please let go," I whispered. I placed my hand on his shoulder.

Regret crossed his face again. He slowly released my neck from his grip. It seemed my touch could calm him down as well.

"I'm so sorry Ari. I didn't mean to hurt you," he quickly apologized. I wasn't sure if I should believe him. But the look in his eyes told me he was being sincere.

"It's okay. Don't let it happen again," I jokingly scolded him. I was trying to lighten the mood and tell him it really was okay.

He raised an eyebrow and gave me a tiny grin. He backed away from me.

"I don't think you are in the position to be threatening me princess."

"I think if you want my cooperation at all then I am in the perfect position to threaten you."

"Are you saying you're going to help me?"

"I'm saying, if you want me to consider helping you then you should think twice before slamming me into a wall and choking the life out of me."

"I suppose I could be a little nicer."

"See, was that so hard? Now are you going to feed me or is there some plan to starve your mate to death?"

"Breakfast should be ready soon. Put some clothes on before you come down. I don't want my pack seeing you like this."

"I don't have any clothes."

"Carla gave me your size. I sent one of the female rogues to do some shopping for you. There are a few outfits in the closet. I will be right back to get you so don't even think about running. I have wolves surrounding the entire pack house."

"It never even crossed my mind," I surprisingly admitted.

Dante left the room. I walked into the closet he pointed at. It was completely filled with women's clothing.

I chose dark jeans and a thick white sweater. I slipped on black hiking boots. Winter was weeks away. I looked out the window and saw a light frost covering the grass. The sun would melt it by lunch.

I took advantage of being left alone. I wandered around a little on the second floor. There were six other bedrooms down the hall and two staircases, one that led down to the first floor and another that led to the third floor.

A thud from the ceiling made me curious. I climbed up the stairs and reached the only door at the top. It was just barely ajar. I pressed myself against the wall behind it. I didn't want them to see me.

"I think we should wait a few more days. She seems to be warming up to you a little Dante," a low voice spoke out. I recognized his scent as one of the wolves from the forest.

"I agree with you, Cooper. She doesn't trust me yet and it would make things a hell of a lot easier if she was on our side."

"Have you completed the mating process yet?" another voice asked. His scent I did not recognize.

"Not yet. I'm giving her some space."

Damn straight you are.

"You need to do it soon, Dante. If you don't she will never let you near her territory and we won't be able to help her pack."

"I just got her to shift back. She barely trusts me right now. I don't think she's going to be too keen on sleeping with me if I mark her without her consent."

"It has to be done. We cannot protect their land without the assurance of having her at your side for good."

Protect our land? The only protection our land needed was against these men. What did they think they were protecting us from?