Chapter 16: A Step Forward

Ayden couldn’t believe her hopeless words.  She made things complicated.  She pushed him away as if he was an illusion to her. They kissed like lovers but she acted like stupid after.

What was wrong with her?

But Ayden already knew.  She was just afraid of things that were strange to her. She was hurt a long time ago. And Fate wasn’t sure now if she could give that trust again to someone the way she did before.

He wanted to touch her hand, to show her that she was not alone now, but he dared not to.

He saw too much agony and pain through her dark amber eyes.  He didn’t want to see those gloomy stares anymore. All Ayden ever wanted was to throw away all those things which made her sad.

He locked her gaze at her. He tried to be as calm as he could. There was something that Fate should understand.

That he was real…

He touched his cold cheek as he tried to speak to her but she tried to look away.

“What if all you think of now is never a daydream? What if stupidity of your love will not fade away because it is true? And what if dreams do exist in real life? What do you do Fate? Do you still want to run away from it? Do you still want to hide in your darkness?”

Those were not really the words he wanted to say…

Not a question but an answer…

That she was not in daydreaming because he really had feelings for her. He wanted to say how much she meant to him. He wanted her to stay and hoping that he would share his life with her. That dreams still existed even for a creature like them.

Tahimik pa din si Fate na para bang pinagtagpi-tagpi pa sa kanyang isipan ang mga pwedeng isagot kay Ayden. Gusto siyang sumagot pero natatakot siyang baka sa bandang huli, pagsisisihan lang nila pareho ang lahat.

She tried to hold back her tears while she was staring at him with so many feelings that she never want to feel. She had lots of words to utter but she couldn’t understand herself for being speechless as of that moment.

“Fate….” He murmured almost like a whisper.

She tried to look away from him but she froze by his intense gape… his soft voice…

“I don’t care what the future we might have. But I will always be here for you no matter what.”  That was not statement but a promise.

She could feel the genuineness of those words. No one ever cared for her like him before.

But maybe… just maybe, he would never left her behind unlike the people that she used to know. She hoped for something more like what she deserved—a simple future filled with happiness.

Could it be true?

Fate was still afraid, hesitant to step out from the darkness that she’s been living all these years. She lived with a shadow of hopelessness.  She believed that there was no hope for someone like her.

But Ayden wanted to change that belief.

What for?

When Ayden stood up as he reached his hand for her.  Fate was captivated by his smile. A smile so warm, she felt his frozen heart was now beginning to melt.