One

I pressed my lips onto my dear father's cheek before leaving for school. I opened the door of my car and got in to strap the seat belt around me. Just as I put my keys in the ignition, my phone vibrates. A text.

Hurry up. You're going to be late.

My best friend, Dinah, texted me every morning with the same message. I somehow feel motivated by them to not be late. Talk about a good friend.

-------(ride to school)-------

"Camila!" Dinah yelled as she speed-walked over to me. With every loud heel clack against the tile, another rando gave me and her a stare. She's my best friend and I could care less about what these pebbles think.

She wrapped her arms around me and spun me in the air. "You do this every morning." I said as she put me back down. "What's wrong with that? If I don't do it, you'll never get your daily dose of feeling tall. Maybe if you had a boyfriend, he could hug you all the time instead of me." She nudged my shoulder as I joking pushed her back.

It's not like I need a boyfriend anyway. I'm an independent woman with all the money in the world to make me happy with the love of my best friend, Dinah. Plus all the boys in this Florida high school are ugly and stupid. I'm far better off with no boyfriend versus one of these Neanderthals. I'm walking down the hall and I've already seen three guys with their fingers shoved up their noses. You can't do that anywhere else? Like not even in the bathroom stall where no one can see you? Again, Neanderthals.

------(The beginning of class)-------

"Class," Mr. Dunne began to speak about our class day, I actually want him to jump out of that window," Today we actually have a new student joining us for this hell hole." Is he even allowed to say that?

A tall boy with fluffy brown hair walked into the classroom and took a seat right in front of mine. He sets down his plain black backpack on the ground next to him and takes out his necessities.

"Look at cake boy." Dinah whispers her Clueless reference to me. I nearly break out into full out laughter. Dinah's joke spreads throughout all of classroom with the occasional chuckle. The boy rubbed the back of his neck when someone told him. Stupid Jackie.

[By the way, "cake boy " means gay. BUT that is just a joke from a nineties movie. Please don't take that seriously. I know Shawn isn't gay and he made a statement about it. This is a joke for a fanfiction for goodness sake. I'm doing this, because Camila is mean in this story. Ok, back to the story.]

"What's your name?" I whispered to him, leaning over my desk. He turned around and replied with "Shawn."

"Shawn?"
"Yeah."
"You really need to get that fixed." I leaned back into my seat and kicked my feet up at the side of his desk.

"What's wrong with my name?" He shot back with a desperate glaring look. I chuckled at his defense. He's trying so hard to be cool right now. It's sad, really. "Oh I'm not just talking about your name. Look at your hair."

He looked up at his hair and blinked fast. He shot glances with the randos around us before returning his eyes to mine. "What's your name?" He asked me as he started to pat down his hair in hopes of making it look better.

"Camila."
"Camila?"
"Yes. Is there a problem?"
"No no. It's pretty." He turned back around facing the white board. Pretty? Did he just mock my response? I see how it is, I think.

Dinah poked me in the side with her long index finger. Annoyed, I look to me side to see what the hell she wants.

"What did you ask?" She grabbed my wrist. I shook her off of me. "I asked what his name was." She leaned in closer to me.

"What is it?"
"Shawn."
"Shawn?"
"Yes, it's Shawn."

She sat back into her seat with a surprised look on her face. I don't know why.