I gave a wide smile, “My mother feels the same way.”

“So,” Kat said as she nudged me with her elbow. Entering the main lobby of the movie theater, she wiggled her eyebrows. “Are you going to tell Randall?” She inquired.

“Tell him what?” I questioned as a blush found its way onto my face. I knew what she was talking about; after all, she had only brought this topic up every chance she had gotten. Yet, I always played naive.

“Oh, come on Elle! You are madly in love with your best friend! I mean, it doesn’t take a genius to notice. Even before I became good friends with you guys I could see it in your eyes. You hid it well but I know you.”

“Kat, I have never thought of Randall that way and I say that for the last time!”

“I don’t believe you.”

It was true, I have never thought of Randall in the sense she was speaking of. Well, up until she told me a little less than a year ago that Randall and I would make a cute couple. After that, I couldn’t look at him the same. It was hard to not think of what it would be like to be in a relationship with him. She planted the seed of curiosity in my mind that had unfortunately blossomed into a crush.

“You don’t have to believe me, Kat-”

“Just admit it!” She shouted. “You like Ran-”

Kat was cut off by me placing my hand over her mouth. “Gosh, I swear if you don’t stop yelling I will murder you in your sleep.” I dished out an empty threat and by the way her lips curved up under my palm I knew she could see I was just kidding. Letting go of her, I sighed. “I’m really being honest when I say that I don’t want to be more then friends with Randall-”

“You say you don’t want to be more then friends with Randall but let’s make this clear: you like him,” she intervened with a knowing smile etched out on her face.

“...”  I gave a sigh. “Yes! ... Happy? ... I admit it, I like him! However, I have been talking with Peter about this and we both agree that I shouldn’t make a move. It would jeopardize our friendship ... and I don’t want to do that.”

Kat walked over to the concession stand counter and told one of the employees working that she wanted a small popcorn. Looking at me after she ordered her food, Kat rolled her eyes. “Elle, everything you just said sounds exactly like what Peter has brainwashed you into thinking. It is obvious, after hanging around you and Peter for so long, that your brother will never let you date or be with a guy if he can help it. It is easy to see that he tolerates Randall because he has been your friend since diapers and bottles. However, the second you and Randall move your relationship up a notch, you do realize that Peter will be chasing him out of your house with a butter knife, right?”

Kat paid for her popcorn and we started to walk back to the theater. “For a second there it sounds like you are trying to convince me not to take my relationship up a notch with Randall.”

Giving a few chuckles through her nose, Kat shook her head. “You know that is not what I’m saying. My point was that Peter will never be satisfied with you and a guy. So, don’t take what he says about this to heart. Go get ya man,” Kat said with humor dripping in her voice.

“Kat, I’m not so sure,” I stated and then reached over to get a handful of her popcorn.

Smacking my hand away she gave me a stern expression. “No touching the popcorn. I still have a few more people to throw this at.” Kat’s wicked smile found her face.