I'll be Seeing You

A/N - For @HumanTypo . So this is all in Bucky's point of view, because I thought it might be more interesting to see it through his eyes for this. So it is you, but it's going to be said as 'she.' Also, set in the 1940s.

Also, I've been amazing at finding music that fits these perfectly lately, and that doesn't end today! I think this song fits SO well with this one shot!

Hope you enjoy!

After Bucky heard that Billie Holiday was singing at the Onyx Club that night, he knew he wanted to go. Not only that he loved her music, but also he was hoping he could have one last dance before going off to war.

----

He arrived pretty early, so not that many people were there yet. So he decided to stop by the bar, just to occupy his time. He ordered a drink, but spent most of his time talking to the bartender. They discussed drinks, war, drafts, and Billie Holiday.

After a while of talking, the bartender had to end the conversation because more people poured in. He noticed the time, getting closer to the performance. But all Bucky did for a while was sit there, stirring his drink.

After a few minutes of staring and stirring his drink, a woman sat at the bar next to him.

"A martini, please," was all she said, and Bucky turned to see the face of this woman.

Just from the profile she was beautiful, but a different kind of beautiful. She wasn't the usual kind of woman he went out with, she was more. She was strong, independent, beautiful. He could feel it radiating off of her. He felt he wanted to say something, but no words were able to be said.

Soon enough she got her drink, and as she got up she smirked to him. Before he could anything, Billie Holiday appeared on stage and this woman was out of sight. So Bucky shook it off and turned to face the stage.

Once the music started, he closed his eyes and just felt the music. He enjoyed every note and beat, connecting to it so closely. Everything around him faded, and only him and the music were in his world. He forgot about being drafted, the war, and the woman.

But once the first song finished, he fell back to earth. While he loved just listening to the music, he wanted to enjoy it with someone else. So he put down his drink and began to search the room. First scanning the dance floor, he couldn't find her. But then the searched the tables surrounding the floor, and found her sitting alone, stirring her drink, doing the same thing that Bucky was doing with the last song.

So he sat opposite of her, joining her in the enjoyment of the music.

----

After that song, they both opened their eyes, discovering each other.

"Uh, hi. I don't mean to bug you, but would you like to dance?" Bucky asked gently.

She gave him a curious look. "Well, just as long as we enjoy the music and the night," she said, giving him the same smirk as earlier.

"Of course," Bucky said, gaining confidence. He stood up, extending his hand to her.

"Then of course," she mocked his tone and took his hand.

Bucky led her to the floor, to find a good spot to slow dance to, to match the song. They got into position easily, and then just moved to the song. It was a beautiful, slow song, which Billie Holiday, "dedicated to the lovers tonight." These two weren't officially, but for tonight Bucky imagined it. She was beautiful and he would have loved to have been with her. But he couldn't get into a relationship the night before he left for war. So, he decided to just enjoy her and the night.

After a while, she perked up, wanting to get to know the stranger she was dancing with.

"So, I could guess from the outfit you're heading off to war soon?"

He sighed, "Yeah, shipping out tomorrow. Being an able-bodied man, I would have to at some point."

"So, why here? Why come here the night before you leave?"

He thought for a second.

"Well, I've always loved her music, and I've always wanted to hear it live. And I wanted to have one last dance before leaving. And I found the perfect girl to do that with," he confessed with a smile.

Her cheeks naturally reddened, but the rest of her face smiled coyly.

"Well, glad I could leave you with a pleasant memory,"

----

They spent the rest of the night dancing, laughing, and having fun together. Whether it was upbeat or slow, they danced to every song. They both just wanted a memory to look back at fondly.

And once Billie Holiday sang the last note, she thanked the crowd and everyone applauded. The performance was amazing and Bucky was glad he came.

"Well, I promised myself I would head back when she was done, so I wasn't out too late. But I want to thank you for tonight. It was the most fun I've ever had and I'm glad it happened." The woman said, so genuinely.

"Thank you, I'm happy I met you and made my night even better. Would you like me to walk home with you? Just so we can spend a little more time together,"

"I'd like that," she said, smiling. So Bucky held his elbow out and she looped her arm though. They both laughed, knowing how cheesy this was, but they couldn't help but enjoy it.

----

The two walked down the streets of New York at 11 at night. The moon shined and the stars glimmered, which was beautiful, but the two stayed focused on each other.

Bucky still adored her; with her beauty, confidence, and amusing side.

He hated the fact that he had to leave, but he had no control over his fate, really.

"Oh, this is my place," she said, suddenly stopping.

"Oh, okay. Well, thank you again. Maybe after the war we could meet again," he said with hope.

She smiled, "I'd like that." She took a step up, "And thank you." She carefully leaned down and kissed his cheek.

He blushed slightly, but tried his best to hide it. He laughed, realizing it was no use to hide it.

"Well, thank you." Smiling, the both turned around to part ways. "Oh, wait! I never..."

"Y/F/N. Y/F/N Y/L/N." She interrupted.

He smiled, "James Barnes, but most just call me Bucky. I'll be in the 107th."

"Well, James. I'll just have to write to you," she said, in a very old-fashioned voice.

In the same tone, "I'll just have to respond, then."

She just smiled, and turned back to head inside. And Bucky began to walk away, just as he heard a very quiet,

"Just come back."

A/N - This was a little different for me, but it was fun to write!

Hope you liked and more requests are coming your way!