Return

*Credits to my friend Sam for providing the medical knowledge (or something cuz I'm not smart) that is in this chapter, so enjoy!*

"Emma?"

What? Another dream?

"Emma, are you there?"

Who is that?

"Please, I need your help..." Their voice echoed in my mind.

"Hello?" I called out into the empty space.

"Emma?" A girl appeared in front of me on her hands and knees, she looked alone and scared, her eyes glazed over and skin deathly white.

"Haley? What's wrong?" I reached out for her, but my hand passed through her figure, and I drew back with a gasp. "What's happening to you?"

Everything around us was glowing white, it was just me and her in this void, the faint sound of a heartbeat could be heard echoing around us.

"I can feel myself slipping away, but I don't want to let go..." She sucked in a breath and lowered her head. "It hurts...it's too much." Her voice broke.

"I...I don't understand, what's wrong?" I took a step towards her, but she stopped me.

"Don't come any closer, you'll only make it worse." She cried. "My head..."

"But Haley, I broke the curse, the witch is gone, you're gonna be alright." I attempted to reassure her, the beat quickening it's pace.

"No!" She said. "She broke me, why don't you understand that? It's your fault, Emma." She looked at me, fear flashing in her cold eyes. "And now I can't come back, she's blocked me out, and I don't know why..."

"Who's blocking you out?" I asked, but she avoided my question.

"I had to give up a part of myself, and now that I'm here, there's no way back in. I won't be the same now that I'm gone, you did this to me." Tears were now streaming down her face.

"Haley, you can't go, what about Alex and Todd, Levi and Lillie, they'll all miss you. Can't you just hang on?" I pleaded, it began beating faster.

She gave me a pained expression. "I don't know...I can't. It's just you Emma, that's all I can..." She blinked and looked down, clenching her fists.

"I tried to help, she won't hurt you anymore." I said.

"No, you don't understand, this was your fault." She slowly stood with her back to me, and turned her head slightly. "I'm sorry, goodbye Emma." She walked away, her figure becoming translucent, and then she was gone.

"Haley!" I reached out, and even began to run. I didn't want to lose her, not my best friend. She couldn't die. I kept calling her name, but all I could hear was the sound beating faster and faster.

I thought it was over, I thought everything would go back to normal, so why is this happening? Why to Haley? I didn't do anything wrong. I stopped and stood hyperventilating, panic increasing as the whiteness around me grew brighter, the sound now beating rapidly. It became blinding, and I attempted to shield myself, covering my face and closing my eyes.

I cried, "Stop, stop!"

Then, there was silence.

I slowly opened my eyes, and found myself standing in a hospital room. There, standing in the doorway, was Alex. He had a strange expression on his face, as if one of fear and regret and ultimate heartbreak.

"Alex...?" I whispered.

I felt him staring straight at me, shaking his head in disbelief. "No, it can't be..."