Prom

I took one last glance in my mirror, an unfamiliar girl looking back at me. Dresses weren't really my thing, but here I was, wearing one, and even in strappy heels.

I wore a sleeveless navy blue floor length illusion top dress – or at least that's what the tag told me – with its bodice as a bateau neck illusion embellished with shimmering – iridescent jewels and lace which traveled down over the full floor length skirt. My strappy heels were only 4 inch heels, but I still felt off balance in them, yet they had little rhinestones on the straps which matched my dress.

My long raven hair was curled with its ringlets only coming down now to a little past my shoulders, yet they were bouncy, and my curled bangs framed my freckled face. I had put on dangly diamond earrings, but skipped a necklace since the neckline of my dress was so high, and instead put some silver bracelets on my arms to accent the earnings.

I didn't want to go too big on makeup, but I touched up a little with mascara and blush and some lipgloss, including a bit of eye shadow, and figured I looked decent enough. I felt nervous butterflies in my stomach, fearing I went a little overboard with my look. I definitely didn't want to draw too much attention to myself, looking like the 'belle of the ball' but I also didn't want to seem too casual.

"Ugh, this is frustrating, I think I did too much." I frowned in the mirror. "Maybe I should just stay home – "

"No, Emmalyn, relax." Erik reassured me. He stood near my bed, his almost translucent figure surveying my appearance, and he nodded in approval. "I'll have to haunt Alex to keep his hands off of you, you look ravishing."

"Erik!" I blushed and laughed at the same time. "I...still think I did too much, are you sure this is fine?"

"I don't want to worry you, so I'll say yes." Erik said.

"But – "

"Hey, just remember what I told you, have fun." His intense blue eyes looked into mine, causing any further words to die on my lips. "Don't worry about you – know – what and have a good time." He told me.

I opened my mouth but was interrupted by the chime of my doorbell.

"There's your boy." Erik winked at me and then disappeared.

I rolled my eyes and paused to take one last look in the mirror before grabbing my clutch and attempted to make my way down the stairs, careful not to fall and break my neck, and opened the front door.

Alex was taken aback by my appearance, whistling as his eyes widened. "Woah, you look stunning. I'm beginning to regret my shabby look."

"Thank you, but you look just as nice, irresistible, really." I blushed at my choice of words, believing I over exaggerated just a bit. But I'll have to admit, he did look rather handsome in his striking tux, though I bet every guy at the prom would be dressed exactly the same. His dark hair was slicked back with some gel, though a few loose strands fell over his forehead in an almost irresistible way, and it took everything I had in me to not brush them away.

The sky was already a deep indigo as the last rays of sunlight disappeared over the horizon and the full moon was now slowly rising up into the sky.

"Well I'm glad I get to show off my hot date, boys will be all over you." He ginned as I gave him a dirty look, then rolled my eyes. He took my arm and led me to a black car with tinted windows.

"Alex, what is this?" I paused in the driveway, eyeing the unfamiliar vehicle.

"Relax, it's my mom's. Well, it's a rental, really, but she's letting me use it to 'escort' you to the dance." He opened the passenger door for me as I sat back into a leather seat.