3 / h o p e

L U N A (pictured)

"Her eyes are wide,
Her soul is bright,
And she remains buoyant"

I always have found the city beautiful. But when the sun sets, the stars make their stunning presence known and the city lights up under the moon. It has always sent a wave of peace through me. But not on these nights.

      The thought brings me crashing back into reality and somehow, that makes the city a little less charming. I shake myself and speed up, having reduced my walk practically to a crawl as I stared at my surroundings.

      Right now, the city is empty. People have surrendered to their bed after a long day and are wiping their responsibilities out of their minds until tomorrow. I wish I could do the same. But I have a job to do, just like always on the first of every month. This is how we survive.

      I study the walkway and keep my eyes peeled for any lone pedestrians, particularly ones looking for trouble. It never sits easy with me when I have to settle for an innocent, but sometimes it happens. And on those days, you can find me in my room as an inconsolable mess. They have never understood the toll it takes on me on the, thankfully, rare occasions that that happens. I'm not like them; my past has never been one clouded with hate or loneliness and it has definitely put me on a completely different side of the spectrum than they are on. And that is one of the main reasons why we argue. They believe my views are "idealistic" and completely absurd. But I just say that their views of the future and present are tainted by the past, rendering them incapable of seeing anything other than the horribleness in the world. To them, a kind man is just as good as the one sneaking up on me now.

     I force myself not to react immediately, allowing the predator to slap his hand over my mouth and press a blade to my throat. Perfect. My hunt is over and I didn't even have to lift a finger.

   "Hello, lovely," he slurs, quite obviously drunk, "Scream or fight and you're dead." he warns, starting to pull me backwards. I allow him to, trying to act scared as I pant and cry against his hand. This only encourages him further of course, making him push the knife harder against my flesh. But the pain only strengthens my resolve.

      "Please," I speak against his hand, letting out a sob, "Let me go. I'll do anything, please." I force myself to cry harder, even biting down on my tongue to make it more convincing.

     "I will, baby, we're just gonna have a little fun first." he chuckles, yanking me into a dark alley between two buildings.

     He just happens to be right. This will be fun.