Chapter 8

In the weeks to follow Payton and Joshua fell into a routine during the day as the rains beat down. He would play with the children and entertain them as she cooked the meals and cleaned up afterwards. They would sit and talk or he would read the bible to her or the newspaper and she would mend garments or do needle point. She washed the clothes in the kitchen and hung them to dry all over the home. Joshua still took time to do his outdoors chores and would come inside to dry off and warm up.

It was during his many hours spent indoors with his little family that he realized just how little space they had. He had been tossing the ideal around for the better part of a month before the rains had started. He had spoke with the banker and was sure he could afford to pay the loan back. Their home might be sparse for a while but he enjoyed building things and in his spare time (even if it wasn't very often) he could construct some pieces for the house.

He watched Payton gather rain water and decied he would put a pump in the kitchen, like Doris and all the newer homes in town had. He would leave out the breeze way. It was nice in the summer but not worth the boards it was made of in the winter. It would take some time but he was sure he could get plenty of help from the community.

He didn't want to mention it to Payton, until he had another word with the banker it wouldn't do to get her hopes up and then crush them in the same month. He had spoke to James about it and James seemed to think it would be a good ideal. He knew a thing or two about building. He also thought the community would come together and offer their help. Joshua watched Payton stepping over the children to stir a pot of beans on the stove. Yes, he was going to town to speak to the banker as soon as the rain let up some....

Two days, Joshua sat in that house waiting on the rain to ease. He prayed and prayed that God would help him to know if he were being foolish and asking for more than he should. He didn't want to become proud but he wanted to give Payton something more. And a house that was her's would make her feel a little more at home. She knew he had built the cabin for Eliza and it made her uneasy to change anything. She was always asking if it was okay to move something or she would say something that caused him to believe that she didn't feel like it was her home.

Joshua waited at the bank and Frank Harris greeted him. "Let's step into my office for some privacy." he told him even though there was no other person in the bank, sept for Frank's wife who was behind the teller desk.

He opened the door and motioned for Joshua to go ahead of him. Joshua heard the door close behind him and Frank walked forward and took a seat behind his desk. He pointed to the chair, "Sit." he told him. And when Joshua had Frank asked, "I assume this is about a loan to build that new home you're wanting to build?" he smiled at Joshua.

Joshua smiled, "Last we talked you seemed to think I was good for the money." told him. "I haven't really talked to Sam over at the mill yet but I know around or about the cost of lumber."

Frank was shaking his head, his mouth in a frown. "I just don't know now, Joshua. This rain is causing flooding all over and that might mean you can't get your crops in.I'm a banker but I'm not the type to let a man put his land and home up and then eagerly wait to take them from him. Plus I consider you my friend and I don't want to see you get yourself into trouble."

Joshua thought on this for a minuet. Not saying a word. Frank watched and waited. "Well, Frank." Joshua said, "I have some money saved up and Payton has the money from the sell of her farm, still. I don't want to ask her for it but if things got bad I would. I'm pretty smart with my money. I don't have a lot but I have enough. I haven't asked for a loan from the bank in almost ten years. I'd say that's pretty good. God has been good to me and he told me it was his will I build my wife a new home. Now don't you think if everyone has flooding and somehow I don't and I get my crop in and harvested mine will be worth even more come harvest?" he smiled at Frank, "I'm a business man too, Frank."