What It Takes

I kept asking Steven if he was sure he was okay, and if he felt alight the entire way home. He looked a little pale but otherwise, normal. I was worried about him and had been scared ever since the 'incident'.

"How's Joe acting about everything?" Steven asked out of the blue.

"Oh, well, I would imagine he's kind of pissed. I haven't really been, ya know, talking to him much. He's actually been being kind of an asshole." I stated.

"Right, that's how he acts when he knows he fucked up."

"He apologized to me, Ginger. I think you two are being too hard on him." My mother frowned.

"He apologized? For what?" Steven asked.

"For-" My mom started.

"Being an asshole." I said, finishing her sentence. I looked at mother, expecting a disapproving look, but instead she was smiling.

"Good. So, Mrs. Eisen, where am I gonna sleep?" Steven asked.

"In my bed." I said proudly. Steven certainly looked happy about that.

"Well...okay." He smiled.

-------------------------

At home we found Angela curled up with Joe in front of the TV. The rest of the guys were nowhere to be seen. "Hey man." Joe said, getting up from the couch.

"Yeah." Steven said. "Hey."

"I'm, ya know...I'm real sorry about the Stones thing but, I got a feeling that...everything's gonna be fine. Ya know? There's still Masonic Hall Auditorium."

"I guess."

"I was thinking we could go out. Bring the girls. Have a drink or two?" Joe offered.

I smiled. I think that was just what Steven needed. He and Joe a little making up to do, and it wouldn't be too bad if Angela and I got to have a little fun in the process. "That sounds like a plan." I said, grabbing Steven's hand.

"Sweet. How 'bout we leave at around four?"

"Okay. Steven, I want to show you my-our room. You need to see it." I said, hoping he'd take the hint that I wanted to be along with him, even for just a few minutes.

"Oh, of course. The room, I have to see it." Steven said, he understood me perfectly.

My mother looked at me on our way up the steps. She told me, telepathically, "Don't let things go too far. Not in my house." I nodded. Maybe it was actually just the cautious, respectful voice in my head that I heard, not my mom.

At the top of the stairs I pushed open my door, which was directly to the left. "Pretty big room." Steven commented. He walked in. "Pretty big bed."

I sat down. "Big enough for us." I said. He sat down next to me.

I put my arm around him, just so I could feel him close to me. I needed to. He turned and looked at me. "I'm sorry Gin." He said.

"For what?" I asked, leaning closer until our lips touched.

A tear was being held in Steven's eye. The only thing preventing it from falling was sheer willpower. "For ruining everything." Willpower gone. The tear fell and died on my shirt after rolling down his cheek. He pulled me closer to him and wrapped his arms around me. I had never seen a guy act this sentimental before. I mean, what guy would act like this when he's alone in his girlfriend's room? Steven was different. He actually had real feelings. I liked it.

"You didn't." I whispered. "Everything's going to be fine. And one day, when you're all old and rich and famous, you'll remember this and go, 'the damn woman was right.'"