Baby Please Dont Go

When I opened my eyes it took me a minute to remember where I was. Instead of seeing my own green bedroom walls, I saw a small white room with peeling paint. Instead of my bookcase, I saw a nightstand with a telephone and a glass ashtray on it. And, finally, instead of seeing all my stuffed animals on my bed, I saw Steven Tallarico lying next to me.

As carefully as I could I sat up on the mattress, doing my best not to disturb Steven. He looked so peaceful and calm; I couldn't bring myself to wake him up. He was curled up with a red blanket pulled up to his face. I knew that I had to get dressed fast and get home faster. I glanced at the clock, nine forty-five.

I searched the floor for my clothes, and in the process I let what had happened last night sink in. It was almost unbelievable even after seeing the proof of it: me in his bed. That was all the proof needed. Once I was dressed I sat back down on the bed and called Angela.

"Hello?" She answered. I could tell by her voice that she had probably just woken up.

"It's me-Ginger."

"Gin! Hey...where are you?"

"Where do you think?"

"Fuck, Gin just tell me! Are you at Steven's place?" she guessed.

I bit my lip. I had to tell her, she was the only way I could remotely get home before my mom found out I wasn't there. "Yeah, I am. Can you come get me?"

"Anything wrong?" She asked.

"No...I'll tell you everything later. Just get here."

"Um, yeah, give me like ten minutes and I'll be there."

After hanging up the phone I turned around and saw Steven lying there on the bed, awake. He smiled and said, "Hey baby". His hair was matted down on one side; even so, he looked impeccably beautiful.

"Hey." I said back, smiling. Just looking at him could make my day.

"You leavin' already?" He asked, indicating my clothes.

"Yeah, I have to get home before my mom does. Angela's coming to pick me up." I answered. "But I wish I could stay." And it was true; if I had my way I'd never leave his apartment.

He sat up and then he looked down. "Last night I think I fell in love with you, Gin."

"You did say that. Last night, I mean." I reminded him.

"I know. But I just wanted you to know that I mean it." He leaned up and kissed me. Then he stood up, wrapped his arms around me and walked out of the room, presumably, to the bathroom. A few moments later I heard a knock at the door. I figured it was Angela so I answered it.

"Hey Ginger." Joe was standing outside the door, smiling and Angela was stumbling up the stairs right behind him.

"Hi..." I started, but found myself feeling embarrassed that I was standing in Steven's doorway talking to his best friend, who just had to know what happened between us last night. "Angela thanks for coming." I said, looking into the hallway.

Joe walked inside. "No problem." She answered.

"Coincidence you two got here at the same time." I noted, hinting at something I wasn't sure of.

Angela walked in and looked around for Steven. After she was sure he wasn't in earshot, she walked a little closer to me and whispered. "Me and Joe...we hooked up last night."

"What?" I said a little too loudly. "What?" I whispered. Angela was just smiling and kept looking over my shoulder to see if either Joe or Steven were coming. Their muffled voices were barely audible coming from the other room. Steven was probably telling Joe everything.

"Yeah, no big deal, right? You got Steven."

"How do you know I 'got' him?" I asked.

"Ginger, you spent the night here. Of course I know what happened. They're coming." She said turning around toward the couch.

"Ginger, can I call you later?" Steven asked walking into the living room. Joe followed and by the look on his face my suspicions were confirmed. Steven had probably told him everything, right down to what brand my underwear was.

"Sure. Can I come over later?" I asked, biting the bullet and hugging him. Right in front of everyone. I looked to see Angela's reaction. She had her arms folded and was smirking. Joe was sitting on the couch smoking, carelessly. "Get a room."

"You damn well better." Steven smiled.

I was so relieved when Angela and I pulled up to my house and my mom wasn't there yet. Either that he she had already been there, saw I was gone, and went out searching. Hopefully not. Angela and I climbed out of her car and went inside.

"Okay, I want to know everything." She said, once we were in the kitchen and had a cup of coffee each.

"There's really nothing to know, Angie." I said, dodging her questions. Things like this were easy for her to talk about. She told me when she lost her virginity in the ninth grade to a senior. And ever since, she'd dated lots of guys and never once did she have trouble telling me every detail imaginable. It was different for me.

She cocked her head to the side. "Please?"

I sighed. "We kissed and had a beer..."

"You shared a beer?" She cut me off.

"No." I said, confused, blowing into my blue mug.

"Well, 'cause that'd be kinda romantic. Maybe. Never mind, just go on."

"We each had a beer and then, you know, we talked a little. I called my house just to make sure no one was home. And then, we...I...what I'm trying to say is we...he..."

"You had sex?" She laughed.

"That's it." I said.

She swallowed her coffee and looked at me. "Congratulations, it's about time. Look, you don't have to be so weird about it."

"But that's not even the best part, Angie. This morning, when he woke up, he said he loved me." I said, smiling. It felt good hearing myself say it, almost like I was reassuring myself that it was true.

"Really? Wow...Joe didn't say that to me."

"Oh...sorry about that. I just hope Steven's serious, you know. He is a lot older than me. But I know I'm serious about him. I just love him so much." After she didn't respond for a few seconds I said, "Oh, right, sorry about going on about it. So, are you and Joe a thing now?"

"I don't think so." Angela looked a little sad, which was unlike her. She would usually be laughing and telling me about how much she liked some guy but didn't think it would really go anywhere. But this morning it was the other way around, except the guy in my situation was really important to me; and I got the feeling that she wasn't liking it.