Welcome to the Fairytale Community's Retelling Awards!

Chapter edited and updated for clarity as of 11:39 PM EST on July 12th.

Welcome to the FCRAs! For the first time ever we will be hosting an awards contest for retellings of all kinds!

While the full name is The Fairytale Community's Retelling Awards, we fondly call it The FCRAs. In this contest we will celebrate and honor stories- and all of them will be retellings. Retellings of classic novels/plays, myths, legends, folk tales, and fairytales are all welcome to enter.

To enter your story in the FCRAs simply tag your story with the #FCRAs2016 tag!

There will be multiple different categories of awards, however, many of them will be secret! This means that some of them won't be revealed until the winners are.

For example, for category one, there might be seven winners, while for category three, there might be five winners. It all depends on the topic of the category, the opinions of the judges, the size of the applicant pool, and the quality of the entries!

So remember: this means that hypothetically, there could be anywhere from around ten to over thirty winners!

With each year, we will also be doing a theme for one special award category based off of a popular theme in retellings. This year, as you can tell from the book cover, the theme has to do with mermaids, or more specifically, People of the Sea! But more on that later.

Rules, Regulations, and Criteria:

- All stories must be tagged with the #FCRAs2016 tag

- Only stories most recently updated in 2014, 2015, or 2016 can be entered.

- All stories must be retellings or heavily inspired by fairy tales, folk tales, myths, legends, nursery rhymes, or classic novels/plays.

- All stories must be in English (we hope that next year we can change this!)

- All stories must have at least three chapters up (this can include Prologues)

- There is no word or chapter limit.

- Stories from all genres except random and Fanfiction are welcome. Repeat: Random and Fanfiction stories are not allowed in the contest.

- OnceUponNow entries are not allowed

- Stories can be entered in the Wattys as well.

- The story you submit must be yours, no plagiarism!

- We are open to stories from all ratings.

- We are only open to rough drafts. If you have a published novel and would like to enter the rough draft of that novel (that differs from the final published version), you are welcome to.

- Stories do not need to be complete.

- People's Choice voting starts on October 1st and ends on October 15th

- Deadline to Enter is October 15th, 2016 (but if you want to have a good chance at People's Choice, make sure you enter before October 1st!)

Timeline:

Submissions Start: July 12th, 2016 (at 7:00 AM Eastern Standard Time)

People's Choice Voting Begins: October 1st, 2016

Submissions Deadline: October 15th, 2016 (at 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time)

People's Choice Voting Ends: October 15th, 2016 (at 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time)

Winners Announced: Late Fall of 2016

So now that you know a bit about it, head over to our Questions and Answers chapter to find out more! We tried to cover every question we could think of in that chapter! :)