Life in the Flames-22

Start from the beginning

“I need a map,” I told myself with a chuckle as I finally climbed the stairs to the royal wing.

“There you are,” Reid said with a smile as he leaned comfortably in the doorway of the meeting room, “it’s about time you showed up,” he said teasingly causing my heart to flutter.

“I’m sorry, your highness to keep you waiting,” I said with a roll of my eyes as I brushed past his shoulder and into the room to find his father sitting in a large chair looking over maps, papers, and reports on the large wooden table that ran the length of the room.

“Ah there you are Alonia, I was beginning to worry that you were lost but it seems you found your way,” Blane said, “here come have a seat. You too Reid.”

Reid pulled out a chair for me and I smiled at him and sat down. My heart wouldn’t seem to slow down.

“So Alonia you probably know about the situations that the kingdom is in now, actually you probably know more about the causes of the problem than I do. That is why I have asked you to come and speak with me. As you surely know war between my people and the Emperor and his soldiers may break out any day. I have ordered troops to set up barricades and set up camps at our borders so when Volcin finally decides to attack we will be ready. We will not be the ones to start this war; I refuse to draw first blood.”

“Sir, all he wants to do is to conquer everyone and bring the earth wielders above everyone else. He said he would try to avoid as many casualties as possible, to spare earth bender blood, but I know he has fighters to spare. He will use any force he has to try and defeat his enemies,” I said.

“I figured you would say something like that,” the king said with a sigh as he ran his fingers through his dark hair. “Is there anything else you may know?”

“That he has Burke, kidnapped Alonia, ordered the killing of the Southern and Northern Water tribes, broken the Quarium Treaty, and he has still been allowed to rule. Father, on that alone he must be stopped,” Reid said strongly, anger slipping into his voice.

“Son I know, he should have been stopped sooner than this but going to war is a big burden. You must understand about the loss and strain people are going to go through. We must think about our kingdom before we make any rash decisions but I believe there is no other choice. He must be stopped.”

“Alonia is there anything else?” Reid asked.

I told them everything that happened, everything I remembered, every threat, and every form of torture he used. I could feel my hate and anger rising inside of me but I fought it to stay calm. It was sad to say but I wanted that man dead.

“He is such an awful man, who doesn’t care about anybody but himself – wait there is one thing we have on him,” I said with realization.

“What’s that?” the king asked.

“Ophelia, we have the Emperor’s daughter.”

“We could use her to negotiate, hold her hostage and see what her father will do,” Reid said.

“Hmm that could work. I doubt he will agree to that but-”

“Father that is all we have to go on that may prevent deaths. I say we at least try, Volcin can’t be that heartless, especially with his own daughter.”

“You’d be surprised,” I said with a huff.

“I shall talk this over with my general and see what he thinks about it. You two may go, dinner is probably being served right this minute,” King Blane said as he picked up a wax sealed piece of paper.