Seven Women, Part 3

Cindy Morgan

My first-ever girlfriend was Cindy Morgan.

Joss was always with Jia Sulu; they went to Prom together and got married. While it was really nice it was also kinda – they waited that long? Because they were always together, even when we were kids, so it was like they were married even when they were in elementary together.

See, on Lafa II, there weren't a lotta humans. There are a lot more now. But at the time, we had like a one-room schoolhouse. We were put together; the Calafans thought we'd like it better that way. Cindy was there as her parents were having problems, so she was living with her grandfather, old Doc Morgan. Her parents had kinda bugged out, but her cousin was a lot older than her and came to Lafa II to live and that woman was this bombshell named Pamela Hudson. My second crush after Norri.

But I digress, Kevin. I wanna talk about Cindy, even though we lost contact years ago. I have no idea where she is now.

We were in school together, and we'd go behind the buildings and, when we were little, we'd hold hands, and we thought that meant we were married. I remember thinking that was kind of anticlimactic, even though I had no idea what that word meant at the time.

Then when we got older, that turned into kissing. After I'd caught my mother and Norri in the sack together, I got it in my head that I would kiss Cindy. So we did our usual behind the buildings bit, but this time I leaned over and all of that. She ran away and told everyone in our school that I'd made it so that she would have a baby. That's amusing now, but at the time it was kinda overwhelming.

Everybody teased me about that for years. Things were okay – we dated for most of our school years. But it wasn't innocent like at the start. We lost our virginity to each other when we were teenagers, but didn't stay together.

I'm jumping around again. Lemme tell you about our school days.

We went to Prom together. The Calafans put on a pretty nice Prom, though they'd never done that before. Dad was still alive then. Calafan girls are all bald at that age, so Cindy and Jia were always easy to spot. We double-dated, with Joss, of course. It's not like I took both of them, okay? Joss and Jia'd already graduated, but they returned for another go-'round at Prom. Joss knew that me and Cindy, we weren't meant to be, like him and Jia. I think he was being the big brother and protecting me from disappointment, or maybe just from having to make small talk. I dunno anymore.

Calafan dances are too fast. Were you somehow watching us, Kevin? It's kinda comforting to think that somehow, maybe, you were.

I only stepped on Cindy's foot once.

Okay, four times.