Chapter 10: Coffee Shops & Soccer Games P. 2

Hazel

It was the night of James' game and the score was really coming down to the wire.

Before that, I wasn't much of a soccer fan, but there was a newspaper meeting before and I was switched to Sport Journalist last minute.

"Hello all, nice to see you this early morning." Our teacher, Miss Sanchez, greeted.

"What's up with the early meeting Miss S?" Christian asked. "We usually don't meet 'til after school."

"Yes, I'm sure all of you are wondering the same thing as your eye bags speak thousands." Miss Sanchez leaned back on her desk. "I've made some changes for the game tonight."

Everyone in the classroom started to quietly murmur. "Now,now. Settle down, it only affects two of you." She continued. "Mister Duran, I'm removing you from the sports section for tonight. Miss Marks will switch with you."

"What?" Christian and I both exclaimed in unison.

"Miss Sanchez, we all know Hazel knows little to nothing about soccer, let alone sports in general." My best friend continued. "No offense, Hazel."

"No no, he's right." I agreed.

"Don't worry, I know you'll do just fine Hazel. I'm sure Christian will be all help you need for the article. Besides, I'm sure Christian will need an equal amount of help with the English report he has yet to turn in."

"Chris, you didn't turn in your report?" I whisper shouted. "That was due like two weeks ago!"

"I know, I know." He rubbed his face in frustration.

The bell rang and I gave him a sad smile. "We'll figure it out at lunch, okay?"

Chris nodded and made his way to his first class as I did mine.

--

The score was 3-3, Wildcats' ball.

Again, I wasn't much of a soccer fan but this game really had me on my feet. Occasionally, Chris had me write a couple points while I gave him tips on what to write for his book report.

Everyone on the East High side cheered as the James Kallaway made the winning goal. His eyes searched the Huskies' side and sent me a smirk when he found me.

"I'm assuming it's okay to leave you here with Kallaway," Chris stated as he fished his keys from his pant pocket.

I smiled. "Go finish that book report if you wanna graduate, Duran."

He chuckled in response and walked to his car as I made my way over to the field.

"Sorry to bother," I announced jokingly, "but I need a quote from my fellow Wildcat."

James turned away from the array of student surrounding him and gave me his signature smirk as he excused himself from previous company.

"Well if it isn't the West High journalist I wanted to see," he clapped his hands. "I'm ready to be taken out whenever you are."

I chuckled and started to lead him to my car when he stopped me in my tracks. "Wait one second, Miss Marks. I believe you're forgetting something."

"And what would that be?" Before I knew it, James pulled me close to him and his hands cupped my cheeks.

"I don't believe I got to finish my end of the bargain yesterday. Someone decided to cut me off before I even finished my sentence."

My cheeks flushed a crimson red. "Well go on, Wildcat. What is it?"

"Winner also earns a kiss." A playful smile crossed his face.

"I don't know what you're waiting for, Kallaway."

And in an instant, his lips were pressed on mine.

--

The Monday after the game, Miss Sanchez called another meeting. Everyone turned their articles in and our teacher smiled at me.

"Well Miss Marks, I have to say I'm very impressed with your work." Miss Sanchez pulled something up on the big screen for my classmates to look at.

The class started to murmur which made me feel nervous, then Christian nudged me.

"Everyone's really impressed with your article on Friday's game," he stated, making me grin. "I'm proud of you Hazel Joy."

Friday, May 27th

East High Takes West High at Eddie Field.

It was the game everyone was waiting for: Wildcats vs. Huskies at Eddie Field. With the score keeping everyone on their feet, no one knew who'd get the last goal in before the time ran out.

The game came down to the wire with a score of 3-3 in the middle of the 4th Quarter and everyone cheering for each team in the stands.

After a game too close to call, the East High Wildcats took the trophy home tonight, but of course, it was another game for the books.

West High School starter, Joshua Oakley, and the rest of the Huskies all maintained amazing sportsmanship as lead player, James Kallaway, and the Wildcats took the victory this year.

"We were all focusing our energy in the middle of the game that we ran out towards the end, but what an awesome game to end the season with." - Joshua Oakley, Huskies (2)

"I'd be on my tip toes if I were up in the stands. It was a tough game, but the Wildcats pulled through in the end. I'm glad I got to score the winning goal." - James Kallaway, Wildcats (7)

Both teams played exceptionally well and have many more matches to play in the new season.

Cheers for more, Huskies.

Hazel Marks