Chapter 10: Coffee Shops & Soccer Games

James

A coffee shop wasn't the usual place people would find me at.

Of course everyone thought I was that rich kid that had everything handed to him. Instead, I was the complete and utter opposite of that. I worked my ass off day and night, on and off the field, whether it was with my studies or at one of the busiest coffee shops in town. After grabbing a spot on the soccer team and earning a scholarship to Cal Poly, I thought I had everything planned out and set after graduating high school. But of course, the one thing I didn't plan for was Hazel Marks coming back into my life.

--

Hazel came into Jean Luc's Coffee Shop on one of the worst nights for me. Everything was basically coming down to the wire and I couldn't have been more stressed with finals, working overtime, and East High's last soccer game coming up all before graduation.

The coffee shop had a piano on stage calling my name as I was closing up for the night. It was a quarter before ten so I'd decided it wouldn't hurt to mess around a little before I locked up the shop.

I let my hands takeover and play what I was feeling inside: stress, sadness, anger. Everything all at once.

Darkness by Ozugur Can Dursun

Once I was done playing I continued to stay at the piano seat for a couple more minutes. I'd heard the bell ring, indicating that the front door had opened. I mentally face palmed myself as I remembered that the doors weren't locked yet.

"We're closed." I announced.

"What a shame, I was eager to hear more of that piano playing of yours." My ears perked at the familiar voice.

"Hazel, I'm sorry." My eyes met hers. "I-"

She laughed. "Don't worry about it, but you may want to lock those doors even if the sign says 'CLOSED.'"

"I was about to lock up, actually." I half smiled. "I guess I missed playing a little."

A sad smile crossed her face. "Final got your head in a whirlwind, huh?"

"Finals, soccer, work."

"You'll do just fine, James. I'm sure of it."

"Oh, uh, speaking of-"

"I'd love to." She answered quickly.

"You don't even know what I'm about to say." I chuckled.

Hazel's face turned red. "Right, sorry." She chuckled.

"Well, my last soccer game is this coming Friday and I'd like for you to be there."

"An East High verses West High soccer game that I already have to write about for my last article in the school's newspaper?"

"Ah." I cooed. "Well I don't mean go brag, but East High is going to win, so you better put in a good word."

She scoffed. "On what bargain?"

This time I'd locked the doors and made sure everything was off before Hazel and I locked up the coffee shop and went on our merry way. "Okay, let's see... If our team wins, you have to take me out on a date-"

"And if West High wins?"

"Then I have to take you out, sound fair?"

Hazel smirked. "You're on, Wildcat."