Chapter 11: A New Chapter Awaits

Hazel

Nostalgia: (noun) - a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past

This was it. Graduation.

"Hazel Marks!"

You think that after four years of going to the same school with the same sorts of people that everyone would be happy to leave and explore college. Of course, that's how everyone thinks at first. Then you get to the very last days of your senior year and you're suddenly missing the days when everything didn't happen so fast, when people were different.

Weird to think about, right?

Nonetheless, it was a bittersweet moment.

--

I grabbed my diploma from our principal and made my way off stage after shaking her hand.

The funny thing is that even though the seniors get out of school earlier, we still have to go back for gradation practice. A time where you only cross the stage and rehearse speeches numerous times because every single thing had to be perfect.

Well the only thing I worried about was whether I'd make it across the stage without face planting the ground in my six inch heels. Curse me for being a short person.

It was a little overwhelming, but hey, that's just me overreacting about the one time I'd walk across the stage in front people I'd probably never see again after graduation.

--

My family threw me a graduation dinner party when my family and I got home after the ceremony, and to say I wasn't expecting it would be a total understatement.

I'd gotten my clammy feet through the door when I saw my friends still in their formal dress, Riley's friends with smiles on their faces, and there was me looking like complete and utter sh*t with my tousled hair and smudged eye makeup.

"You look like sh*t, Hazel." Christian announced with a smug smile, making everyone chuckle.

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks for sugarcoating," I joked. "I'll go fixed this mess and we can eat." I motioned at my face then went up to fix my makeup and messy hair.

Dinner rolled by pretty fast and our friends helped clean up before they left with me the one and only James Kallway.

Of course they'd do that it on purpose.

James and I were sitting out on the front porch by the time everyone had left and my parents were fast asleep in their room upstairs.

"Our friends have a habit of leaving us alone, don't they?" James laughed.

"What kind of friends do we have?" I played along.

He let out a chuckle, and then we were silent for a bit before we spoke out again, his smile no longer apparent on his face.

I looked at him. "You're thinking too hard," I mutter softly.

James shrugged. "It's kind of hitting me, you know?"

My smiled thinned and I nodded. "You're going to be a good five hundred miles away from me."

"I mean it sounds a lot farther than it actually is. Cal Poly to the University of Arizona is only six hours away."

"Well when you put it that way, it doesn't sound as bad."

"The sucky part is that I haven't even formally asked you out yet." He chuckled.

I chuckled with him. "I kinda just assumed we were an item."

He turned to me. "I just don't know if we could do the long distance thing, you know?"

"Yeah." I nodded. "I've thought about it a lot too."

"Don't get me wrong, Haze. I do want us to be a thing, it's just-"

"-being five hundred miles apart is a bit bigger deal than it actually seems?" I looked away from his blue eyes. "I know, James."

"Hazel, I have to tell you something."

I scrunched my eyebrows. "What's up?"

"The University of Washington had sent some people over to watch our last soccer game-"

I instantly smiled. "No way-"

"-and they offered me a full ride scholarship to their school."

"That's amazing James!"

"Wait, you're not mad?"

"Why would I be?"

"It's just that- we'll be farther apart."

"James, you deserve to go their school." I gave him a sad smile.

He gulped. "I told them I'd take it the offer."

"Good." I placed my hand over his. "You don't need me to be there for you to be great because you already are. You deserve this."

James gave me a lopsided smile. "As much as I loved their offer, I still don't want to be away from you."

"We have so many opportunities ahead of us, though. I know you'll be amazing in Washington like you were at East High."

"I think it's safe to say the same even though you were at West High. You'll be an awesome writer at Arizona, I expect to see lots of good things."

I smiled at him as he continued, "And I think it's also safe to that we'll both be out there."

"Hey, you wanna know something funny?" I'd asked as James stood up to leave.

"What?" He stopped at the white post.

"You're now the Husky and I'm the Wildcat."

I saw the smile James tried to stifle. "I think it's my turn to say it."

I smirked. "And what would that be?"

"You're on, Wildcat."