42-♫-Longest Night

Start from the beginning

            “I think this is enough for one day,” Caitlin interrupts. The doctor and Mrs. Kemps snap their gazes over to us and I feel sleepy.

            “Aria? Dear, what’s wrong,” Mrs. Kemps begins, stepping forward for me.

            Caitlin clutches me to her tighter. “She’s tired. She’s been through too much lately and right now, freaking out and blaming people won’t help.”

            The doctor looks away slightly embarrassed and Mrs. Kemps lowers her arms, a defeated look on her face.

            I really missed having Teegan’s arms around me. even though it felt nice to lean against someone, nothing could compare to the feel of Teegan beside me.

            I blink back tears, exhaling a shaky breath.

            “let’s go,” Caitlin murmurs to me, leading me out the room, her shoulders straight.

            I really admired this strong woman. Her eyes were red and puffy yet she held herself strong and calm despite everything.

            Walking down the endless, empty hallway, I shuffle down the hall.

            Holding most of my weight, Caitlin walks slowly with me, briefly studying me as I stare at the ground blankly.

            “You know, you’re kind of amazing,” Caitlin says softly.

            I scoff, bringing in a fresh new wave of tears collecting in my eyes. “I couldn’t even save him or make his pain go away.’

            Caitlin stops us, turning me to face her. “What do you mean you couldn’t save him? You saved his life that night. He could’ve died if you weren’t there but-“

            “He’s in a comma, Caitlin,” I interrupt,  grinding my teeth together.

            “-And the only reason he is alive is because of you,” Caitlin says firmly, genuine honesty in her eyes.

            I wish I could say I was like Caitlin who could will her tears to stop and stand tall but I wasn’t her.

            Standing there in an empty hall, my heart aching and my head throbbing, I break down into tears, heavy sobs ripping through my body.

            Holding me to her, Caitlin pats my head reassuringly as I cry.

~*~

            Sniffing, I clutch Teegan’ hand in mine, resting my chin on the hospital bed.

            “The boys come and visit everyday, they are always joking and laughing because they think you would rather have it that way,” I croak, smiling softly.

            “Knowing you, you probably would. You’re always laughing and smiling. That’s one of the reasons why I love you so much,” I say, brushing his hair away. “You’re like my little star amidst the night.”

            I laugh quietly, the ache spreading through my chest. It feels like forever ago the last time I laughed.

            “Is that too cheesy?” I ask. “…That’s okay. You were always cheesy.”
            A reminiscent smile lingers on my lips as I run my fingers down his face, brushing his lips.

            I loved him so much.

            I blink, my eyes feeling heavy and groggy as I clear my throat, wiping my tears.