16-♪- Drunken Masses

♪-Chapter-16

            I fidget in my summer dress glaring at my image, pinpointing everything I hated about the way I looked.

            My hair looked flat, my skin sickly pale and the dress just wasn’t working.

            I shot an envious glance to my right to see Maria in a gorgeous teal blue summer dress, her long dark hair and skinny legs the highlights.

            Throwing on a cardigan, I grab my purse and leave the room, a bitter taste to my mouth.

            It was just a stupid frat party on the beach. I wasn’t trying to impress anyone anyway.

            As I skip two steps at a time down the stairs, I freeze at the bottom level when all the guys look at me.

            “Dang, you clean up nice,” Zach whistles.

            I throw him an irritated look. “Don’t even joke about that Zach.”

            Zach raises his hands up, a surprised look to his face. “I mean it.”

            I don’t respond as I go to the kitchen, grabbing a glass of water.

            Taking a long gulp, I try to shove my self-consciousness and self-loathing away. Besides, I shouldn’t be mean to Zach, I scold myself, he was just trying to be nice.

            Running a hand through my hair, I walk back to the living room, quietly taking an empty seat next to Teegan who looks at me weirdly.

            “What?” I ask, fidgeting around and avoiding his gaze.

            “Nothing,” he says, smiling like he knew something I didn’t. “You look beautiful.”

            My cheeks flare up in heat and I bite my lip, looking back to the television screen where Zach and Trey are rooting for their favorite teams.

            “Pass it! Pass it- no!” Zach roars, jumping to his feet.

            “Take that you mother trucker” Trey yells at Zach, leaping to his feet and throwing down a bowl of popcorn as he disses Trey, elated that his team scored a point. Trey grunts at Zach and they puff out their chests, pretending to size each other up.

            I roll my eyes, laughing along with Teegan and they pretend wrestle, popcorn littering the floor.

            Just as I return my gaze to the TV, I can feel Teegan staring at me. However, when I turn to him, he looks away, a small smile on his lips.

            “What are you looking at?” I ask laughing.

            “Your gorgeous smile,” Teegan responds cheekily.

            I blush. He was such a smooth talker.

            “You liar-“

            “Hi guys!” Maria chirps, entering the room and doing a twirl for us, her six-inch heels making her tower over everyone.

            She looked gorgeous.

            Clearing my throat, I look away from Maria’s triumphant gaze and stare at my feet.

            “Shall we go now?” Teegan asks, clearing his throat in the silent room.