15. Proof

Jim's POV

I take one last look at myself in the mirror and take a deep breath before heading out the men's restroom. I seriously don't know what in the world I'm supposed to tell Amelie now. I should say something, since there's a chance we might be...married, related, or at least have something to do with each other, and she has the right to know the truth, not all the bunch of, probably, lies that her 'husband', Colin, has been forcing into her brain. Again, I gotta say that I don't even know the man, but something about his name, his...thought makes me feel really really uncomfortable and...angry. Amelie, on the other hand...I do feel a sort of...love for her...well...not sort of...I love her. I feel like I felt in the dream, just not as...strong, I could say, since I don't remember her, even though I wish I did; this way everything would be cleared, but still, I feel the warmth inside my heart that I felt in the dream when I saw her...or maybe I'm just way too scared to admit that my love for her IS strong because I'm scared about the consequences...consequences?

I open the door of the restroom, and spot Amelie still sitting on the table with her eyes fixed on her phone.

"Hey," I say, taking my seat, as she turns her beautiful green eyes to me.

"Hey, Jim are you okay?"

I smile nervously, my eyes fixed on the ground, but nod. "Yes, yes I am. I'm so sorry about that, I didn't mean to...freak you out."

"Oh my goodness, no!" she starts with a little laugh. "No no no, I didn't freak out at all, I am just a little confused about what happened, but...that's it." She makes a small pause, as she moves her eyes to the ground, sort of hesitating wether she should say what's next or not. "Soooo..." she finally continues a bit shyly. "May I ask...what happened? Of course if...only if you want to tell me."

I look at her with a little apprehension, and sigh, turning my eyes to the floor. "Yes, yes, I ahhh..." I say, as I come forward to her and rest my elbows on the table. "I was actually going to tell you about this but I...it's just...I really don't know how to tell you this...it isn't easy."

"...well..." continues Amelie, looking confused, though definitely curious. "If it is personal then...you don't have to tell me if you don't want to do so."

I take a quick look at her eyes, then back at the ground; her hand, noticing her ring; and her neck, looking at her beautiful half of the heart necklace I maaayyyybbeeee got her. "It is personal, but it is something that you have the right to know about, since...it kinda...involves you."

She suddenly throws a perplexed look, though she's certainly showing more curiosity than confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Ams......Ams? Does anyone call you like that?" I ask, since I remember I called her that on the dream.

"Hmmm...actually," she says, suddenly showing a tiny smile as she thinks. "I sort of...remember someone who would call me that way, and...I feel like he was someone I loved very very much. And he would call me Cherry, too because he couldn't pronounce 'ma chérie,'" she says with a giggle. "But he's just so blurry, so so so blurry. I...I probably haven't seen him in years because the last time I saw him was most probably before the crash. I just don't know who he is but I love him very very much, and..."

I notice a tear rolling down Amelie's cheek, and I just feel the urge to hug her, console her, and tell her everything will be okay. It's like the natural impulse of a man to a woman he loves very much...an impulse I sometimes feel for seconds until it fades away, like if it was something stuck.

"Are you okay?" I ask, as she wipes the tear away.

"I am...it's just...I've never felt like this before. I've never felt THIS before. It's like...you said that name and I felt this sudden...affection, love. It's killing me that I can't recognize the person I'm seeing because I just feel the need to recognize the person, but I...I don't know, maybe an old friend? But no...I love him more than a friend, so who is he? Or...where is he? I want to remember him, know why I suddenly felt like this because I just don't understand...Wow, all of this was so out of nowhere...with just one word... 'Ams'."