Why did I have to hear it?

Chapter Six

"Mothers...don't you find something a little...off...about Justin ever since he came back from the hospital?" I asked quietly. Only to Pattie and my Mom.

"Well," Mom started. "Not exactly..."

"Why do you think so, Justine?" Pattie added on.

I scratched the side of my head and rubbed my nose. "Uhh...I don't know, just a...remark..." That Justin has been acting the weirdest I've ever seen, and I know he isn't joking.

Oh, and Selena has been staying over these couple of days and I'm not saying she's weird or anything, but she too, have been acting strange. Something's really not right.

"Justine!" Pattie and my Mom said my name a bit too loudly. I jumped! I can't believe I jumped.

"Yes, mothers?" I turned to look at them, but I did so alternatively. From Pattie, to my Mom, from my Mom, back to Pattie.

"Do you know how many times we have been calling you?" Pattie asked, a little concerned.

"Five." My Mom sounded as if she was pissed, so I laughed to try and chill things down, but nope, not working, not at all.

I walked out the kitchen and turned left and bolted up the stairs. I was about to run into my room to join Justin and Selena's conversation, but I overheard them by...accident.

"Justin, if you want to give it up, they're definitely gonna worry about you - and I don't mean just a worry worry - they're gonna bring you back to the hospital. Plus, what happened to never give up, huh?"

"But I - it's hard to understand them, okay? It's the hardest thing to do when I really can't remember any shit!"

"Be natural! Try to remember! Say what comes instinctively, say what comes when it flows to your mind!"

Justin sighed. "I'll try. But, you have to te- "

I slapped my hands over my mouth and moved forward slowly. Apparently, I stumbled upon something on the ground and lost my balance, resulting me to push the door open. While they diverted their attention to me, I was still...silent. I just, I couldn't speak. Not right now. If I wanted to break down, I would, but I didn't want to. I won't ever want to. Ever, again. I'm not gonna cry.

"Justine- " Selena started, with her eyes wide open.

I held my palm out. "No, it's okay, I didn't hear anything. Carry on." I drew a deep breath and walked back down the stairs, and tried to contain my anger, my disappointment, my sadness - my...emotions.

They lied. They fucking lied. To everyone.

But I'm letting no one know. I'm not gonna lie, I'm gonna keep. But I don't know why.

"Mom, uh, where's the, ahem, where's Jenny and Jonah?" My jaw clenched.

My Mom smiled at me. "Their in the house next door. Maria is taking care of them." She wiped her smile off and frowned at me. "May I ask what's got you fired up?"

"No - I MEAN, nothing's got me fired up." My eyes twitched. God damn it, Justine Kaye!

"If you say so," she rolled her eyes. "Well, Pattie and I are going back to the house, do you wanna visit the twins?"

I nodded my head vigorously. "Yes, yes, YES! Let's go!"

I took off first anyway. I need the kiddy laughters to cheer me up right now.

"Hi, Maria!" I shot her my best smile and ran to the kids' side. "Jenny, Jonah, guess who's here?"

Jonah ran up to me first, then Jenny caught up.

"God, I missed you little cuties! So? Enjoyed your new toys so far?" I asked them with a huge smile on my face.

"Yes! It was fun! So fun! I had fun, so much fun with them!" Jonah gushed.

Jenny folded her arms. "It is fun because he threw a dinosaur at me once."

"Oh, that was fun too! Haha! But I'm sorry, Jenny!"

I laughed. "that's alright, Jenny. He was just playing."

"I know," she grinned, "so I threw it back at him!'

"That hurt," Jonah mumbled.

"What? Why?" I asked, a little confused.

"Justine," Pattie said as she plopped down on the couch, "Jenny threw it at the place where the sun don't shine."

I face-palmed. "Ouch."

Jonah narrowed his eyes on Jenny and stood closer to me.

"Sometimes when I'm nice, she goes all evil on me." he whispered into my ear. I scratched my cheek and laughed, then ruffled his hair,

"But don't get her back, alright? She is a girl after all."

He sighed loudly. "Why must my twin be a girl!"

My Mom laughed from the kitchen. "Jonah, you can't be the one to decide on the gender of your sibling!"

Jonah frowned. "Oh, right, I am the only boy amongst."

Jenny made a sound like "Humph." and I laughed.

Jonah poked his tongue out at Jenny and Jenny mirrored him. It was cute. So cute. Has it been a year since I've seen them? How old am I...still fourteen. I see. I hadn't seen them in a month. Only a month. And they've grown. Based on maturity...not very much, but, their still kids.

Understandable.

"Uh, Justine..." Pattie quietly said.

Just then, someone grabbed my arm and pulled me up.

"Justine, we have to talk." Justin Bieber.

I tilted my head to the left and shoved his arm off. "No, it's okay." I stood closer to him and leaned in. "We can't do this now," I muttered, hopefully loud enough for just him to hear, "we most definitely can't do it here unless you want the mothers to find out."

He closed his eyes for a second.

In the corner of my eyes, Jenny was ready to dash towards Justin, and I quickly added.

"That's Jenny. She loves you. Carry her!" I whispered. He bent down and picked her up.

"Hey Jenny!" Justin gushed.

Well, if he continued acting like this, he could pull it through the night, without making the mothers go suspicious.

 And at least I know a part of him is still...here.