I Do It For Avory: Epilogue

EPILOGUE

ETHAN’S POV

You know, it’s really hard to say that you’re going to your wife’s graduation. Especially when you’re the same age as her except she stayed in college when you left. And nothing, no matter what you say, gets easier when you drive up in a limo. That was my first mistake. Because I didn’t want to drive, I was like, “What the hell. Mark, get the limo, we’re out.” I was running late, I just got back from an interview that managed to keep me from her for about a week, and I was pissed. No one told me about this graduation, first of all, so why would everyone get mad at me for not knowing? Whatever happened to a notice?

When I pulled up, everyone was screaming saying, “It’s him!” Yeah, everyone, it’s me, I wanted to say but I didn’t because it’s not everyday that you see a famous basketball player (I’ve gotten cocky over the years). Everyone wanted an autograph so Mark handed me his pen saying, “Would you like to sign a few?” Hell no, was my reply because I had someone to meet before she decided she wanted to claw my face off later. It’s not everyday that you go through six years of college to be a Registered Nurse. It’s not everyday that you get to celebrate the big moment of leaving college-life to the real deal. That’s why it was so important. Plus, it’s Sophia we’re talking about. To me, anything involving Sophia is important.

Believe me when I say I was looking for her. I was pushing people aside, looking for her unbelievably golden brown hair and the tall muscled man she called her dad (he still didn’t like me). Every two seconds, I touched my pocket to make sure it was still there. Believe it or not, I missed her birthday and haven’t actually seen her long enough to give her a present. Well, it’s not like I had one the times I’ve seen her so I decided that I should get her a little something on my trip to Australia.

Finally, I found her. It was like a moment of silence before I actually went up to her. I stood there, looking at her from afar. She didn’t have on her graduation gown on, probably because she felt “uncomfortable.” Ever since that test came back positive, she’s never worn a dress (much to my dismay). Then again, anything that showed off that tiny baby bump of hers was perfect for me.

Right when I was going to step forward, my leg was grabbed. “Dad,” Avory gave me a toothless grin, showing me that he finally got those two front teeth of his out. “Mo- ”

Shh,” I put a finger up to my lips, letting him know that this whole thing was a surprise. She wasn’t expecting me. Now that I thought about it, no one was. “I’ve got something for your mom but she doesn’t know I’m here. I’m going to sneak up on her- ”

“I would don’t that, dad.” He gave me the ‘matter-of-fact’ tone that I instantly recognized as his mother’s. Someone was bound to get it, and something told me it was bound to be Avory. “She told me that, when she sees you, she’s going to chop off your peni- ”

“Skip that word,” I commanded. And she said I was giving him a dirty vocabulary. What seven year old knows the word penis?

“And never touch you again. You should apologize, dad. Whatever it was, just say you’re sorry.” First of all, it wasn’t my entire fault and she said she wanted another baby. She said they were adorable and she wanted another one. I went along with it because I didn’t have problems with kids. I mean, look at mine? He’s gained my looks, a ladies man, and he’s gained my basketball skills. He doesn’t argue and, if he does, it’s always for my sake. Yeah, kids were okay with me.

But I only rolled my eyes and, with Avory attached to my leg, advanced on her from behind. People were no longer staring (they were mostly girls) because they saw I had a son. Who cares? I was married, also, so it didn’t matter to me who was looking at me or not. I was proud to say that I was tied down by the fiercest woman in the whole city of Los Angeles. Yes, very proud. “Ew,” Avory squirmed as I bent down and gave Sophia a kiss on her cheek. Her dad noticed me before she did and he gave me his famous death glares. Only for me, though. “Come on, grandpa, let’s go to the snack table.” He took Sophia’s dad by the hand and dragged him away. Thank god because I wasn’t in for another staring contest. We had one about every time I was around him. When the hell was he going to accept me?!