Maya's POV

I need Riley.

I hate fighting with her. I've got my words together on how to tell her, but I'm honestly terrified of her response it would either go really well or go really south. Riley is the sister I've always wanted, and she's always been there for me. I just need to tell her because I can't go through this without my best friend. I heard my phone ringing in the bedroom which is where I left it.

I walked in there and picked it up off my bed, and Shawn texted me.

S: hey kiddo, how are you feeling?
M: I've been better.
S: so I just had a talk with Riley.
M: I figured there was something more to this.
S: no no. I'm not trying to get you to not be angry at her, if I were you, I would be too.
M: I'm gathering you know then.
S: I do, but that's between us.
M: thank you.
S: anything for you kiddo.
M: I was thinking about telling her soon.
S: maybe you should, she knows somethings up and it was getting hard to dodge her questions.
M: I know, I'm sorry. I plan on telling her after school tomorrow.
S: will you need me with you?
M: No, I got this. I got myself into this mess, then I should have no problem telling her about it.
S: I'm here if you need anything, remember that.
M: Thanks Shawn. That means a lot to me.

It felt weird without Lucas being here tonight after him being here everyday the past two and a half weeks. I would say a lot was accomplished in the past few weeks. I find out I'm pregnant and I also see my past right before my eyes twice. Every time I would close my eyes I would relive it. It was a never ending cycle since Christmas.

-Flashback-

This isn't the first time I've snuck out of the house, but the first time since Shawn and Mom got married. This was usually how Josh and I got to see each other the most was sneaking out at ungodly hours to his dorm. When I get there I hear a lot of talking and laughter from the other side of his door, sounds like a few girls, Josh and one of his guy friends. I took a deep breath and nervously knocked on the door, I normally just walk in because, well, that's just who I am, but something tells me this was the safe route to go and I could hear Josh unlocking the door.

"Maya? What are you doing here?" He just stared at me and scratched the back of his neck.
"I came to see you so we could spend time together." I thought this would be something that would be common sense.
"Maya let's go take a walk." He was being really passive aggressive and smelled of booze. This was going to make for an interesting walk.
"Josh, why are you drunk?" I looked up at him.
"I'm just trying to have fun." He had a pretty nasty tone about him.
"You don't need to be drunk to have fun Josh." I tried taking his hand, but he just pulled away.
"Maya, stop." He looked really angry all of the sudden.
"What did I do..?" I honestly had no idea what was even going on.
"You didn't do anything. I'm just irritated that you had to show up the one night I'm trying to have fun." He rolled his eyes at me, seriously right now.
"From what looked like a double date, yeah?" I said in a hiss.

I lost sight of what was going on because Josh grabbed me by my wrist and led us to a secluded area and threw me against the wall and he basically had such a tight hold on me that I couldn't move.

"Josh what are you doing?" I whimpered.
"You can't shut up for 5 minutes can you?" There was something different about him, something has changed. I can't look at him like I used to.
"Josh let go of me." I yelled right in his face, but that was no use.

He struck me quite a few times and let me drop to the ground. I grabbed my throat because I was trying to regain my breath and I managed to say one last thing before he was out of ear shot.

"We're done." I broke through my cries.

I laid there on the cold ground for a while regaining my strength back and there was one friend I needed to see right now that would make me laugh and forget about this. Lucas.

I walked to Lucas' who lived a few blocks from the university. I knocked on his window for about 10 minutes before he actually woke up.

"Maya what are you doing here it's 2am?" He looked really tired which kinda made me feel bad.
"Me and Josh broke up, I need someone to talk to." I looked at him for the first time as a I need you kind of way.
"Let me put on my shoes and coat and I'll be outside, okay?" He smiled at me.
"Okay, huckleberry." I smiled back.

"So what happened?-" he was starting to ask a series of questions and that's when he noticed.
"Maya, why is your face bruised on the side?!" He tilted my head with his hand to get a better look at it.
"It's not important right now." I lowered his hand from my face.
"Maya did Josh hit you?" He looked at me in a serious tone.
"No, no. There was just some drunk annoying girls at the university and there was an altercation, it's no big thing. What I really need is just a hug and someone to be here for me." I half smiled at him.

He leaned me in closer to him and wrapped his arms around me and for the first time all night I felt safe.

-Present Day-

A tear was rolling down my cheek.
Ever since Christmas that night is all I could see in my head. It was like my nightmare was becoming a reality. I went to crawl in bed and grabbed my phone to text Lucas.

M: I miss you already huckleberry
L: I miss you too
M: hey Lucas..
L: yeah?
M: that night I came over after me and Josh broke up, you know the night he hit me, I'm sorry for not telling you the truth.
L: Maya, you need to stop blaming yourself for what happened that night, I hate him for hurting you, but I can't hate him for letting you go because it brought us closer together that night.
M: I love you Lucas, always.
L: I love you and our baby very much.
M: speaking of which I think I'm going to tell Riley tomorrow.
L: are you sure you're ready?
M: like the Matthews said, I shouldn't wait to long to tell her because she'll start to notice or she'll figure it out.
L: whatever you decide I support you, you know that.
M: I know, I'm gonna try and sleep, I love you, see you tomorrow.
L: I love you too, see you first thing in the morning.

What a hectic vacation, I so didn't plan for it to go this way. Everything happens for a reason. My secret is now out so I don't have to carry it with me anymore. It's been a long two and a half weeks and tomorrow will make for an even longer day.