Chapter Forty-Three

Kito climbed up the rocky ledges that led to Pride Rock until he found himself on the gradual slope to its peak. He walked to the top and sat down, staring quietly out at the horizon. The sun beat down on his fur, but a slight wind kept him cool and comfortable as he watched the land idly before him. He touched his face with his paw again. Warm, wet blood met his touch, but he found that he didn't care anymore. Then he saw a lioness in the distance with an old mandrill following after her. As they approached Pride Rock, he realized it was Nala and what appeared to be the wise, crazy shaman, Rafiki. It always amused Kito whenever he saw the psycho old shaman walking towards him with his long stick and his strange grin. He just oozed kindness, warmth, and understanding. He was the one to help mend Kito's wounds when he was clawed by his father. There were no questions asked, even though Rafiki clearly knew what was going on. A wise shaman like that had to know a thing or two to be where he was.
The young lion turned away in disgust as Nala approached him first, her eyes shining with worry.
"I brought Rafiki to help you. He'll make your scars heal better so they're not so..."
"Ugly? Monstrous?" he snapped, rounding on her with fire in his eyes, "This is your fault."
"My fault?" she growled, her body recoiling away from him in anger and shock.
"Yes. You let that male into our territory. You wanted me to fight him."
"You have no idea..."
"I don't?! You just want to get rid of me and my father. You're tired of me chasing after you, and you think another male will make things magically better. Well, it won't!"
Nala was silent for a long time, fury glinting in her eyes as she looked at him closely.
"You know, I thought you were different from your parents, but you're not. I try to care about you, and all you do is push me away or try to get something more out of me. Why can't we just be friends? Why can't we see where things will lead in the future rather than fighting all the time? I know you need a friend, Kito. You'll crumble without proper support," she exclaimed.
"Why don't you just let me crumble?" he asked.
Nala sighed.
"Because I care about you. Why is that so difficult to understand? I wouldn't have stuck around this long if I didn't care about what happened to you."
Kito looked at her suddenly, his expression turning to one of curiosity.
"What do you mean you wouldn't have stuck around? Where would you have gone?" he asked.
"I don't know... but that's not important. What is important is that I've stayed here because I believe that there's still hope for you. You can still be a great King. I believe in you, Kito. I know Sarabi and the others feel the exact same way. Please don't let us down."
Then Rafiki stepped up to Kito and looked deeply into the young lion's face, as if he were trying to look through him.
"She's right... You bring hope to a dying land. You must understand yourself before you can understand others to help them. So who are you?"
Kito shook his head.
"I didn't think self-reflection was part of being healed," he muttered.
"It will heal your inner wounds," Rafiki said, placing a gentle hand on Kito's heart.
"I-I can't do this right now. I appreciate your efforts, but I'm not in the mood for this."
He started to walk away, but Rafiki jumped over and blocked him with his stick.
"You are a troubled soul... that much is obvious. Let Old Rafiki heal your wounds," the shaman said softly.
Kito nodded reluctantly. Then Rafiki took to mixing fruit and strange-looking pastes into a container he had brought along. When it was all mixed into one gooey substance, he took up a handful and approached the dark lion.
"This will sting a bit."
The shaman placed his hand on Kito's cheek and rubbed the ointment to and fro. Kito closed his eyes and bared his teeth in pain as Rafiki finished covering the area.
"Now it will heal better and faster," the old monkey explained, stepping back to examine his work. When he was satisfied he picked up his container and fastened it back to his stick.
"Thank you, Rafiki," Kito whispered.
"You're welcome, dark Prince."
Before Kito could respond Rafiki was bounding down Pride Rock with stick in hand, carrying on with his familiar crazy laugh.
"Dark Prince? Should that be your new nickname?" Nala asked teasingly.
"I suppose it's a better than most names," he growled, turning his back to head towards his cave.
"Are you still angry?"
Kito looked back at her and shook his head slowly.
"I could never stay mad at you. You're my friend, and you mean well. I just wish we could be more than friends some day."
"Maybe one day when I'm ready. I-I still have memories of an old friend, and I just need to let them go."
Kito's ears perked up and he turned his entire body towards her.
"Who?"
Nala looked at her paws sheepishly.
"His name was Simba. I think I told you about him when we were cubs. He died in the stampede that killed his father. We were betrothed, and he was my best friend."
"He was Prince before me, right?"
"Yes. For some reason, I feel like he's still alive. I know it's stupid, but my instincts keep telling me not to give up."
Suddenly, Kito felt a wave of jealousy come over him.
She loves a dead lion more than me?
"Well, when you get over him, let me know. He couldn't have survived a stampede that killed a King."
"I know that. It's just... they never found a body..."
"I still don't think he'd survive."
Nala looked up at him and a small, sad smile appeared on her face.
"I know, Kito. One day I'll get over him, if that makes you feel any better."
He grinned and put a paw on top of hers.
"And I can't wait for that day to come."
With that, he turned and began the short walk to his cave.
Nala watched after him until he disappeared around a corner. Only then did one tiny, glistening tear slip from her eye to dry noiselessly on her cheek.
"I miss you, Simba."