Chapter Twenty-Six

Scar sat on a rock further away from Nala and Kito as he watched the two cubs talking and play-fighting. The three lionesses were oblivious to his silent inspection of the young pair. Zira sat grinning by his side, and suddenly she looked over at him.
"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" she growled.
Scar nodded slowly in response.
"I think so, my love. Are you thinking about Kito's future?"
"Yes."
"And are you thinking about him with a Queen by his side? One that can be betrothed to him from cub-hood?"
"Yes."
"Then I'm glad we are on the same page. Let's go tell the she-cub, Nala, her future then. I'm sure Sarafina will be most pleased with our decision."
Scar stood up and started to walk down towards Shani, Asilia, and Kito, Zira following after him with long, dignified strides.

As they got closer Asilia and Shani's ears perked up, and Sarafina turned her head to look at them. When she saw who it was she glared at them, a frown slowly forming on her kind face.
Scar and Zira continued to walk towards them until they were in front of Asilia and Shani. Little Kito beamed up at his parents.
"Mother! Father!"
Scar and Zira smiled back down at their cub. Then Scar turned his attention to the two lionesses.
"Why don't you take him to the watering hole? He can go cool down and meet his future subjects."
Kito stared up at his father.
"Are you going to come meet us there? So we can explore together?" he asked.
Scar glanced back down at his son.
"If that's what you want, my Prince."
Kito beamed up at him and nodded.
Then Shani and Asilia stood up and led him off towards the watering hole.

Sarafina watched as the two lionesses disappeared with the cub. Then she turned her attention to Zira and Scar, making sure that Nala was close by her side.
"What can I help you with, Your Majesties?" she asked as politely as she could.
Scar approached her slowly with Zira by his side, and Sarafina's nerves immediately went on edge. There was a point in time when she had actually liked Scar, but that time was long gone.
Scar stopped and sat down. Zira stayed standing, looking ready to fight as always.
Scar's gaze landed on Nala and Sarafina felt her cub shiver by her side.
"We need to discuss the next generation's future. Especially since the future already planned has been changed drastically," Scar growled.
Sarafina stared at him.
"What are you talking about, Scar?"
"I'm talking about your daughter and my son. Kito needs a Queen, and since Nala can no longer be betrothed to Simba..."
He raised an eyebrow at her, waiting for her to put it together.
Sarafina's eyes widened and she looked down at Nala. The poor cub's eyes were round with innocent shock, and her jaw was open wide seemingly without a way to close again.
Sarafina glared back at Scar.
"No. I won't do that to Nala. She wouldn't betray Simba like that."
Scar shook his mane impatiently.
"Simba is dead. She wouldn't be betraying him by moving on with a lion of strong character."
Sarafina huffed at this and Zira growled. Nala still stood staring at Scar.
"You mean, I would have to be Kito's mate?!" Nala cried.
"Yes. What part of that do you not understand?" Scar said.
"But I don't want to be his mate! I thought we would just be friends! Simba was supposed to be my best friend and my mate-"
"And now he's gone. There's nothing that could ever bring him back!" Zira snarled, "So you will be Kito's mate, one way or another!"
Nala flinched back from Zira's biting tone, and Sarafina stood up.
"Listen," she hissed, "Nala gets to decide what is best for her. If she decides later on that she wants to be Kito's Queen, then fine. Until then, leave my daughter alone!"
She bared her teeth at Scar and Zira, and Zira returned the gesture. Scar, on the other hand, sat calmly looking back at her.
"She will be Queen, Sarafina... whether you like it or not."
Then he stood up, and looked down at Nala.
"Goodbye, young Princess."
He turned and walked away. Zira looked after him, glared at Sarafina one more time, then followed at a cautious pace.
When they were gone Sarafina hugged Nala close, sitting down with her and resting her head on her daughter's.
"I won't let them force you to do anything, Nala. Your decision is yours to make, not theirs."
Nala shut her eyes and hugged herself closer to her mother.
"I wish Simba were still here, mom."
"Me too, Nala. Me too."