Chapter Four

Another month has passed.

Zira rolled onto her back and yawned pleasantly, her fangs gleaming in the afternoon light. She stretched her neck back so that her head lay on the dusty ground and her eyes blinked up at the bright sky.
Suddenly she heard footsteps and she picked up her head to watch Shani walk over to her. The gray lioness laid down next to her and sighed contentedly.
"It's a perfect day today," she said, "We haven't had a day like this in...well... we really haven't had a day like this before. It's nice to lounge around in the sun for once."
Zira grinned and rolled onto her side so that she could face Shani.
"Yes, Shani. It has been very nice around here lately. For the first time, I actually don't mind lounging about."
Shani smiled and glanced down at Zira's swollen stomach.
"There's probably a good reason for that, Zira."
Zira's grin widened as she followed Shani's gaze. She inspected her lower abdomen with a loving yet cautious glint to her eye.
"Have you ever had cubs, Shani?"
Shani stared at her leader, clearly taken aback.
"I... well, no, actually. I haven't really thought about having cubs, especially since most of the males around here are more interested in having multiple females, rather than just one."
Zira's eyebrow went up slightly and Shani quickly added,
"Except Scar, of course."
Zira sighed and stretched back out on the ground.
"Scar," she murmured, " I haven't seen him for a few moons now."
Does he not care anymore? Has he already moved on? Does he still love me?
She snarled suddenly and her claws drove into the brittle ground. She raked them back and growled as she saw the deep gashes in the dirt. If only the ground could bleed...
Her gaze turned to Shani and the lioness started to get up as she saw the bloodthirsty look in Zira's eyes.
Zira raised her paw and slashed it towards Shani, claws fully unsheathed.
The lioness managed to crouch and duck out of the way.
When Zira's paw hit the ground Shani took off running, already knowing that she needed to be left alone.
Zira roared and dug her claws into the ground again.
The other lionesses looked up but said nothing. They all knew that she needed her space.
Zira roared again and snarled in a fit of rage.
WHY DID HE LEAVE ME??!!! WHY??!!!
Her thoughts whirled in her head and she tried to focus but it was all a blurry jumble. Her vision turned red and all she could feel was a fiery rage that boiled the blood in her veins.
Then, suddenly, it all stopped.
The last thing she saw was the lionesses shouting to each other and running towards her. Then, it was completely still and her thoughts faded into darkness.