Chapter Thirty-Six

Another year passed and Kito continued to play with the hyenas against Scar's wishes. Scar no longer got after him, but instead sat idly by as his son grew to be a smart, strong young lion.
By now Kito had a small mane that framed his face and ridged the top of his neck. He looked almost identical to his father, but he was more muscular like his mother and the beginnings of his mane weren't nearly as slicked back. The claw marks on his side had faded into soft pink scars that still showed through his brown fur. His face was sharp and angular since most of his cub chubbiness had fallen away over the past year. He was quickly turning into a full grown lion, and Scar knew it.

Scar, Zira, and Kito were walking through the Pridelands when Kito noticed Nala chasing after a gazelle. He smirked and turned to his parents.
"I've gotta go," he growled, "Nala needs my help."
Before they could respond he dashed off after his friend and the gazelle. As he ran, he silently calculated the distance between him and the gazelle. It was so fast that Nala could barely keep up, and he gave her credit for even trying at this point.
Suddenly it turned towards him in an effort to dodge Nala. He took his chance and lunged at the gazelle, unleashing his claws to their full length as he stretched his paws towards it. He heard a snort as they tumbled onto the ground in a cloud of dust. His claws latched onto its back and he felt warm blood trickle into his mouth as he bit into its neck. When he felt it go limp, he relaxed his jaws and looked up to see Nala glaring down at him. He loved how she looked when she was angry.
"Kito! You ruined my hunt! I was so close and you ruined it!"
He let go of the carcass and grinned up at her.
"Were you really that close? From where I was standing you seemed pretty far."
She growled and tried to pin him, but he anticipated it and rolled out from under her. She tried to pounce on him, but he smacked her playfully with his paw and she lost her balance. She fell over to the side, so he took his chance to pounce on her. He pinned her down and smirked down at her.
"I know all of your tricks," he whispered, "so good luck trying to beat me."
She laughed in his face and heaved him off of her.
"You hardly know all of my tricks," she sneered, shoving him playfully with one of her paws.
"I know you inside and out," he boasted.
She rolled her eyes, but she couldn't hide the grin on her face.
"Yeah, right," she said as she bent her head down to pick up the gazelle.
She placed her jaws firmly around its neck and started to drag it back towards Pride Rock. Kito jumped in front of her, stopping her in her tracks.
"Leaving so soon?"  he asked.
She dropped the carcass.
"Yes," she said, "why would I stay?"
Kito smiled innocently at her.
"I figured we could spend some time together. You know, take a walk, share a meal, those kinds of things."
Nala grinned, but almost as soon as it appeared it was gone.
"I need to get this back home. Everyone's really hungry and they want me to bring something back."
Kito shrugged.
"They could always send out another hunting party. I know some of the other young lionesses need to get some hunts in."
Nala looked at her paws.
"I guess they could..."
Kito crouched down to look her in the eyes. He offered a gentle grin and rubbed his head against hers. At first she flinched. Then she nuzzled him quickly before taking a step back.
She avoided his eyes, but Kito still felt a sense of victory at getting some affection in return.
"So let's eat and take a little walk around the Pridelands," he suggested.
She nodded once, but he noticed that she was really tense.
"What's wrong?" he asked.
She raised her head and looked back at him with her dazzling blue eyes. His heart skipped a beat as she offered a kind grin.
"I think we should just be friends for now, Kito. I'm not ready for any sort of relationship," she said.
He felt his heart sink into his stomach. His eyes dropped away from hers and he looked off towards Pride Rock.
"Then maybe you should take that gazelle home," he muttered.
He felt Nala's glare burning into him and his eyes met hers.
"You know what? I think I will," she growled.
"Fine."
"Fine."
She bit viciously into the gazelle's neck and started dragging it back towards Pride Rock. Kito felt the sudden urge to help her, but instead he stood stubbornly with his back turned.
"I hope the others appreciate the meal that I caught!" he shouted over his shoulder.
There was no reply, but when he turned around he could see her tail twitching in the distance.