Chapter 1: Meet My Arrogant Prick of a Mate

Start from the beginning

'Ari!'

'Sorry. I'm just kidding. I thought you would understand when I told you to stand down.'

'Will you two quit it?' Jerry interrupted before we started a fight. He was always the mediator. Logan and I bickered like siblings.

Logan jerked his head towards the pack house. He was asking Tristan if he wanted to follow us back. He nodded his head in agreement.

His body was tense like he had something urgent to speak with Bruce about. Rogue trouble was the most likely topic of discussion.

We hastily made our way back to the pack house. Uncle Bruce would be waiting up to hear how our patrol went. When we reached the house I was the first one to shift back. I quickly dressed in the clothes I left outside before we went on patrol.

My long, wavy dirty blonde hair cascaded down my back as I ran my fingers through it a few times as a comb. The house was quiet when I entered to grab some extra clothes for Tristan. He wouldn't have anything to wear when he shifted back.

When I came back out Logan and Jerry were just pulling their shirts over their heads. I placed the clothes in front of the black wolf. I gave him one last look before turning back to the house to retrieve Uncle Bruce.

The pack house served as a pack meeting place and the Alpha and Beta's residence. We also housed three pack doctors so they would be close in case of an emergency. Bruce was the stand-in Alpha at the moment. A new Beta would have to be promoted soon. I was leaning towards Teague.

Like me, my father was an only child. That was why the Alpha position fell on my mate. Bruce's wife, my Aunt Fiona, was my mother's sister. He had no Alpha blood running in him otherwise he could have challenged for the Alpha position.

"Uncle Bruce," I harshly whispered though the long hallway. It was late and I didn't want to wake everyone up. Wolves had incredible hearing. He would hear me no matter where he was in the big house.

"Back already?" a deep, commanding voice called out. He was in the study, his temporary office for now. It was the third door on the left down the hall.

The study door swung open. A large man with broad shoulders stepped out to greet me. His once brown hair was showing signs of aging with bits of grey mixed in now. Tired hazel eyes met my sparkling green once before he pulled me into a tight embrace.

The rogue attacks were really taking a toll on him. These heavy nightly patrols had been going on for months now. But for the first time since the attack my mind wasn't anywhere on the rogues.

Thoughts of my gorgeous mate outside were consuming my mind. I couldn't help but wonder if his thoughts were on me as well. If the boys hadn't interrupted us, what would have happened?

"What's the matter?" he asked upon noticing my facial expression.

"Alpha Tristan is here to speak with you," I informed him.

Logan entered the house with my mate behind him. Jerry would stay outside to wait for Teague and Scott to return from patrol.

"Alpha Tristan, to what do I owe this visit?" Bruce greeted him. He held his hand out and my mate immediately shook it. They both bowed their heads to each other.

I took the moment to look him over while he wasn't looking in my direction. His black hair had been cut short since the last time I saw him. The color matched his wolf's coat perfectly. The white shirt I brought him was too small. It stretched across his muscular chest and his biceps pushed through the sleeves.

I knew he could feel my gaze on him. His piercing blue eyes caught mine for a moment. A small smile touched his lips. He was pleased with me staring at him.