013 ; Myths

Chapter Thirteen
❝Myths❞

---

"You were just using Peyton, weren't you?" Liam asked, growing irritated with how Julian was dancing around answering his questions. "The asking her out, pretending to be into her."

Julian let out a sarcastic laugh and fixed his dark eyes onto Liam, who was still struggling to get out of the mountain ash trap. "You think that I needed Peyton as a part of my plan? Well, at first I didn't think I would. And then I caught a glimpse of her digging her claws into the lockers at school and realized, that she was indeed what I needed."

He stood in front of the mountain ash barrier. Liam stopped struggling to get out and stared at the other boy. "What is this about?"

"Have you ever heard of the Wild Hunt?" Julian said with a grin. When he saw Liam's baffled face, he continued, "The myth is that they're ghost riders that come for souls during storms. They're also told to be accompanied by black wolves, also known as Hellhounds or Grims. But Grims, you see, are basically female Hellhounds. I believe you're aware of what a Hellhound is capable of."

Liam gritted his teeth. If only he could get him a little closer, close enough to accidentally break the barrier, his head would be off in seconds. He clenched his fists again to will back his anger, his nails digging into the palms of his hands.

"While Hellhounds are tied to fire, Grims are tied to rain and water. With flooded black eyes. Anyways, I think you understand where this is headed."

Liam bit his lip, trying to calm his pulse. "You think Peyton is this Grim thing. Like the Grim Reaper?"

Julian clapped his hands together loudly. "Bingo!" He chuckled softly, "Maybe you aren't so much of an idiot after all."

When Liam didn't reply Julian took a step towards him and continued, "Now for your portion. Get your friends off my trail and I'll wake Peyton up."

Liam took a hopeful step forward, only to bump into the barrier again. Julian shook his head as he spoke, "Not so fast. I have to leave you with a little warning; If you so much as hint to them what I've done, I will send Peyton right back into that sleep. Or," He laughed at this part, "I'll just kill you both."

After he allowed some time for his words to soak in, he flicked his wrists and was gone in an instant. Liam stepped forward again cautiously, this time glad when he was able to walk past what once was a ring of mountain ash.

---

The room Callin took Peyton to was covered in thousands of tiny sketches. Every place that didn't have a sketch had sticky notes with scribbled writing on them. Stepping further into the room, Peyton saw her face on almost all of them.

A sketch of her and Stiles when they were younger was tapped close to the window. She was on a hospital bed, Stiles running after her with a petrified look frozen to his face.

It was the night she was bitten.

Peyton turned back to Callin, not entirely sure if she was terrified or simply boiling with anger. "How did you get these pictures?" Peyton demanded.

Callin stepped closer to Peyton, examining the picture from Peyton's side. "There isn't anything supernatural in this world. Not even stories were written. No one knows what werewolves or vampires or ghosts are. But there are people, every now and then that find a way to make these things up in their minds. They're called travelers." She said, turning her head to the side to face Peyton. "You know that period of time right before you go to sleep, REM?"

Peyton nodded slowly, vaguely remembering her father telling her about it when she was younger. A period of time when you couldn't tell the difference between dreams and reality due to your eyes moving rapidly.

"The period of time allows travelers to go to other universes." Callin said, "Thus, why I am able to remember moments like this from your universe."

"How is this supposed to help me get out of here?" Peyton questioned.

"Understanding." The doppelganger answered, "Maybe that's all you need. A clear mind." She shrugged her shoulders, her glasses sliding down the bridge of her nose a little.

Peyton turned back towards the sketches, running her hand over them. "Do you know who killed those girls?" Peyton asked.

Callin shook her head. "I can only see what you see. Being you and all." She frowned slightly at Peyton, pushing her glasses back up the rim of her nose.

Opening her mouth to speak again, Peyton heard a ringing in her ears. She dropped down to her hands and knees, feelings the same arms wrap around her from her dreams. Her vision blurred but was still clear enough for her to see that the world around her was collapsing.

The walls were breaking down and the sketches were flying out of them. Callin had disappeared, flickering out of existence in a cloud of mist. Peyton looked behind her, but before she could see anything, she too was disappearing.

---

Peyton felt sweat sticking to her face and the second she woke, a jolt of pain shot through her body. She groaned at the pain, forcing herself to sit up and look around at her surrounding.

"Peyton?" A purely shocked voice asked.

Rubbing her watering eyes, Peyton turned to the side to see Liam rising from a chair beside her hospital bed. She was all-too-elated to see that restraints weren't weighing her down to the bed.

"Liam," she whispered his name, a smile growing on her face.

He pulled her into a hug, his arms wrapping tightly around her. "God, is it really you this time?" She muttered into his chest, getting a whiff of his cologne.

She felt him nod and joy coursed through her veins, but it was quickly overwhelmed when she noticed no one else was in the room. "Where are my parents?" She asked, her voice wavering a little as she tried to hide her disappointment.

"Your mom is taking care of the murder cases at her office and your dad had to step out to see someone else," Liam told her, rubbing circles on her back before forcing himself to pull away. Peyton pursed her lips as he spoke, "I'll go get him."

As he turned to leave, Peyton found the will to speak again. "I missed you," she said in a soft voice.

He didn't turn around, but she could see his cheeks twitch up into a smile as he replied with, "I missed you too."

---

A/N: Now that that's over with! I hope that I'll be able to update a few more parts within the next few days so hang it there kiddos. :)

- Katie