Chapter 5: Ryker Dare

Start from the beginning

Without a second to spare, my hand whipped up and gripped his shoulder with breaking pressure, before ripping him away from her and into the wall across the room.

"Well, that was to be expected," he spoke calmly as if it was normal to be thrown into a wall. He brushed the plaster off of his shoulders as he stood out of the hole, cracking his neck with tension. "But I misjudged your sense of self-control. I can't help but be slightly impressed."

"Years of practice paid off," I say dryly. "But it will all go to waste if you dare to take another step." He only poked at the beast as he smirked tauntingly.

"Wanna test it?" He took a step forward and I felt Axel rush forward. "It's been centuries since I've had some fun." I took a matching step forward with my eyes narrowed.

"Let's just see what happens," I growled lowly. I said that, but before anything could ensue, Kei stepped in between us with a roll of her eyes.

"Okay, take your chill pills old timers. Everybody gets you're old and wise. Maybe later, why don't you two swap war stories in your rocking chairs while overlooking the sunset from the porch. However right now, you grandpa's need to get with the times."

The room was silent as she finished her rant/insulting. Whichever was preferred but knowing her, it was a dash of both and a pinch of salt.

Both Death and I stood still, staring down at the fiery woman with dual-colored eyes. But as one would get to know her, as I have, I knew she would simply stare back unabashed and completely unafraid.

"Even after waking, you're still so smart-mouthed and a huge pain in my ass." Death's tone was dry but I could sense the amusement underneath. This time, Kei was the only one smirking.

"Not even death could change all of this gloriousness. Now sit down, Ryker was in the middle of cooking for me before things started to go down." She stopped and tilted her head, her eyes staring off into empty space.

"Is that true? Well, if you say so." She spoke to thin air, finally making me realize how surreal this situation was. "No way. Did he really?" She spoke again, but this time, a wide smile lit up her face.

"Kei, you're looking like a crazy woman." Death grunted and shot a look towards the space in front of the fridge, exactly where she was staring at.

"Oh, don't start with that. Everybody knows by now I have a few loose screws." She grinned crookedly at that before leveling her eyes on me, her stare expectant. "So, you still up to cook breakfast?"

I met her eyes steadily, the two of us getting lost in the maze of untold thoughts before I broke the spell.

"You have a lot of explaining to do," I say gravely. She nodded her head somberly before shooting a curious look at Death.

"Dumpy, do you plan on staying until dinner or something?" she asked him curiously. He raised an eyebrow before shaking his head.

"No. I don't think your dog over there wants to cook for me." He smiled almost jeeringly and I simply stared at him icily.

"I'm glad that you understand," I retorted sarcastically. Kei, seemingly fed up with the both of us, sighed heavily before plopping down on the bar stool.

"Since you're not staying for breakfast, you should probably go. But make sure to come visit whenever you have spare time, Dumpy." I scowled at her offer and shot her a glare. She ignored my withering gaze and focused her attention on Death.

I couldn't help but notice a strange glint in his eyes as he looked at her, making the strong urge to kick his ass back to wherever he came from that much stronger. He only made it worse by smiling so gently back at her.