• 7| chills •

[to all who have been haunted by inconceivable circumstances and find themselves to be tainted.]

                                      • • • •

"Garrett... Garrett!"

A quick laugh escaped Meredith lips as she watched her brother sprawled across the couch with no intent on moving. He'd been truly out of it. It wasn't long before her grin remained as she turned her gaze over the subtle sound of a door opening. And along with the creak of the door, it revealed Kenneth coming out of his own room enveloped by simple sweatpants and a white shirt, walking over to the living room where she stood. Despite the difficulty in staying awake, the young man's brows lifted as a chuckle lingered towards the sight of his best friend still passed out on the couch.

"He's still out?" Kenneth asked incredulously as Meredith nodded. "Damn. I don't think I've ever seen him like this."

"Same, honestly. Kind of funny, though," she countered with a mischievous grin towards him. The young man reciprocated a laugh in agreement— a dismissive shake of his head following suit — while making his way over to the kitchen. Meredith followed behind after giving up on waking her brother up just yet.

"Props to him and Debra for staying up so late," she yawned, leaning against the counter with full view of Kenneth as he decided to make some coffee for not only themselves but the drunken grown man who was still drooling his way through another pillow. "I'm just surprised I didn't hear fighting."

Kenneth lifted his gaze with certain caution, his brows furrowed in direct response to her statement. The brunette and himself seemed to be the only ones with the misfortune of limited knowledge— neither of them truly aware of what could be made of Debra and Garrett's overbearing tension.

"Or, there was and we didn't hear it."

Meredith shrugged in agreement to the possibility he mentioned before placing herself upon one of many seats near the open kitchen island. Her chest heaved and immediate discontent escaped through the brunette's parted lips. After all, the very thought of the tense conversation that took place the evening beforehand was enough to stress Meredith out. Because of this taunting thought, she looked back over at her sleeping brother and braced herself for the moment he would wake. It wouldn't be long before she would have to somehow have a talk with Debra again— whether to make amends or confront was still heavily debated. With a quick glance at the clock, the brunette frowned at the time. She was a creature of habit, much like her best friend, but for different aspects. Unlike the blonde, Meredith wasn't too keen on waking up early— something neither the brunette, Kenneth, or Garrett had done that late morning. But Debra was known for her early rises. Regardless of the woman's ability to get up before anyone else, she was nowhere to be found within the small cabin.

"Is Deb still sleeping?" she asked hesitantly. The scowl on her face gave way to the doubt of her own question. Debra would never stay in bed at 11 am— not unless an unshakable illness was in possession of her fit body.

Kenneth frowned with a subtle shrug. "I don't think so, it's a bit late for her to be sleeping."

The brunette remained silent as sudden worry infiltrated her veins. For the first time in a while, Meredith found herself to be gravely concerned over the argument they'd had the night beforehand. She didn't expect for it be such a big deal, though it wasn't like she actually knew of, what Debra considered to be, the worrisome secret about her brother. Perhaps Debra was madder than Meredith had realized. The first instinct was to make sure she was still either in or around the cabin. Her eyes caged the overbearing thoughts within her as she stood up from her seat with another agitated sigh. Kenneth remained still and quiet towards her demeanor, but could only imagine the worries bombarding her at that moment.