• 1| to remember •

[to all easily charmed and effortless in conversation.]

                 • • • •

                 | 3 MONTHS EARLIER |

With a content sigh, Kenneth Norton solemnly pressed the button with ease. The headlights shone in synchronization as echoes of the beeping car alarm flourished into the dark night. He dearly hoped Garrett had given him the correct address, or else, knocking on someone's door with a decorative box within his hands would've been quite questionable. His cerulean eyes scanned the premises, listening intently as distant barking could be heard in the dead of night. Certain caution seeped into his veins as he crossed the quiet street and he nearly braced himself once standing mere inches from the front door.

Knuckles collided with the hard exterior of the barrier, waiting once again with a few retrieving steps. He couldn't help but think of the ominous atmosphere, even though it was far from late just yet— incredibly dark, for sure, though. After all, why not absentmindedly waltz into a stranger's home on a Friday night when he had an ungodly amount of history papers to grade? Eye gouging preteen nonsense could surely wait another day. Especially when there was an opportunity for a much needed revival within his own personal life.

The door swung open after a couple of light knocks, and it didn't take long for it to reveal a perky blonde on the other side. Despite her upbeat mood, an immediate grimace etched upon her face in confusion and it only made Kenneth scowl internally at the possibility of an awkward encounter.

"Uh, yes?" she questioned cautiously.

"Debra Berle, right? I'm Garrett Holt's friend?" Kenneth ventured with a light tone, nearly fishing for some confirmation. Nevertheless, the mention of his best friend's name did nothing to alter the blonde's confusion.

"No... I don't think so," she mumbled. Her bright locks swayed a bit when accompanied by a light shake of her head. Her response only made Kenneth curse under his breath.

"Sorry," he said. "My friend gave me your address for this party. It's his sister's birthday, but I guess I'll just call him."

"I wish I could help, I just don't know a Garrett Holt."

The young man was about ready to step out and call his best friend back, fully prepared to give him an earful for wasting his time. It wasn't until sudden chuckles from the blonde erupted that he looked back with furrowed brows. Truth be told, this would be about the time he would consider himself to be officially freaked out. Nothing more unnerving than a random stranger laughing at him, much less in a dark neighborhood he was far from familiar with.

"The hell?" he mumbled with a frown. It was evident Debra had tried her best to regain composure, to somehow stay in character. He cocked his head sideways in realization. With a suppressed smirk, he redirected his gaze back to the blonde. Confidence radiated from him once he went up the steps once again and watched as Debra made way for him through the front door with a grin.

"He asked me to," she shrugged. "In my defense, I told him you would never fall for it." Debra winced subtly at the end of her sentence with a sheepish glare towards Kenneth.