Chapter 13

Avery stepped out of the elevator and she exited the building. She looked up from watching her feet, and stopped in her tracks on the church steps. Her Jeep was wrapped around a street lamp, the back fender touching the bumper as if the car had been folded in half around the street lamp.
"How the, what the hell!?" Avery exclaimed, in genuine shock. Avery quickly descended the stairs and ran to her car. Avery's mouth was wide open as she looked at the hunk of metal that used to be her beloved Jeep. She walked around to where the drivers seat was, and she noticed that it was completely crushed.
"How did Jace manage to do this?" Avery asked herself, in genuine shock and confusion. She walked to the passengers side of the vehicle, and managed to pry open the door, thanks to her strength rune. She sat down in the car seat, surprised it still held its shape compared to the other seats. Avery began to rummage through her car, taking out things like her proof of insurance and registration. Avery looked down in the cup holder and saw her phone, completely unscathed.
"Yes!" Avery whispered to herself as she grabbed her phone and stuck it in her pocket. Avery flipped down the sun visor on the drivers side and she stopped what she was doing when she saw the picture she had taped to it. Avery smiled as she gently peeled the picture off, and sat back down in her seat to look at it. It was her first Christmas at the New York institute, and her, Jace, Izzy, and Alec were sitting in front of the Christmas tree. They all had their arms wrapped around each other, and everyone had stupid grins on their faces. Avery remembered how happy she felt that day, because she hadn't celebrated a Christmas since her father had died. Avery's mother and father had gotten married on Christmas, and when her father died, Avery's mother refused to acknowledge the holiday. For Avery, that Christmas at the institute was her first step to finally mourn her parents. She admired how happy Alec in particular looked sitting in between Izzy and Avery. When he smiled, the corners of Alec's eyes crinkled and his nose scrunched up slightly. Ironically though, at the time the picture was taken, Avery and Jace had been dating for about 3 months, but they hadn't told their friends.
"It's crazy how things change..." Avery muttered to herself as she carefully folded the picture and put it in her coat pocket. Avery opened the car door and got out, and pushed the door to close but jumped slightly when the door fell off of the car.
"Definitely totaled." She sighed. Avery pulled out her phone and quickly sent Jace a text: "Do something with my car, if it isn't gone by the time I get back I might kill you." She hit 'send' and slid her phone back in her pocket. Avery stepped away from her car, looking at it one last time before she turned around and started walking away from the institute. As Avery was approaching the main road, she felt a sudden gush of cold wind in her direction, and she inhaled sharply when the wind made contact. Avery buttoned up her coat and pulled the hood up to cover her exposed ears. She resumed walking, and soon found herself in a little suburban neighborhood that seemed to run like its own small town. There were many people running in and out of buildings, looking like they had things to do and people to see. Avery looked, and grinned when she saw the place she was looking for. On the corner of the street stood a small auto repair shop. It was a little worn down, indicating it had been standing for a while. Avery looked at the sign that stood above the entrance. It read 'Sparky's Auto Repair Shop'. Avery smirked slightly at the irony of the name of the shop and the owner. Avery hurriedly crossed the street, trying to avoid being hit by cars. Avery walked to the garage doors, and walked under the chains that prevented customers from walking in. She looked around at the men working on the cars, and she sighed contently.
The eye candy Avery thought, a slight grin on her face. Avery walked up to one guy who was around 18 or 19, her age with medium length dirty blonde hair to his chiseled jawline. He stood a foot taller than her with broad shoulders and lightly tanned skin.
"Hey Daniel!" Avery called, getting his attention from the car he was underneath and he slid out to see Avery. Daniel grinned widely.
"Avery Bellegrove, I haven't seen you here in a while." Daniel chucked as he stood up and used his shop rag that was sticking out from his pack pocket to wipe the grease from his hands. Avery stifled a laugh when she looked at Daniel.
"What?" He asked, looking down at himself.
"You have grease all over your face. Seriously though, how does that happen?" Avery laughed as she gestured to Daniel's cheeks and forehead, which had grease smear marks. Daniel used his fingers to try and wipe away the grease, but realized it was futile and shrugged.
"Oh well, I'm a mechanic, what do you expect?" He asked. Avery rolled her eyes.
"So what brings you here to the dog house?" He asked, leaning against the car next to him.
"Well, I'm in the market for a new car, and Derek sold me the Jeep so I figured he could get me one more." Avery told him, shoving her hands into her pockets. Daniel had a shocked look on his face.
"What happened to Penny? You got her with less than 2,000 miles on her, she was in perfect condition!" Daniel had a sadness on his face that made Avery laugh.
"Well, a mission went awry last night and Jace had to drive, and while parking of all things he wrapped Penny around a street lamp." Avery looked at Daniel's confused face.
"Didn't you offer to teach that boy to drive?" Daniel raised an eyebrow, and Avery nodded with a grin on her face. Daniel sighed, rolling his eyes.
"Well, last time I saw Derek he was in the break room, try there." Daniel told her, and she nodded in response. Daniel outstretched his arms in a hug, but Avery help up her hands in protest.
"What?" Daniel asked, looking down at himself.
"You have grease all over you. This coat is new." Avery smoothed out her coat, and Daniel chuckled. Avery leaned over, and scratched behind Daniel's ear. He laughed, hung his tongue out like a dog and shook his leg. Avery chuckled and slapped his shoulder playfully.
"Alright Daniel, I need to go find Derek, I'll see you later." Avery told him.
"Alright, bye!" Daniel called out after her as she started to walk away. Avery made her way over to the break room, careful not to trip or slip on cords or grease. She made it to the break room, and pushed the door open. As soon as the door was open, she felt a giant force run into her and knock her over. She hit the ground with a loud 'whosh' sound as the air was knocked out of her. She wheezed in a breath as she looked at what had knocked her over. A jet black wolf that was easily the size of a small sofa was laying on top of her. The wolf was panting, and it looked almost as if the wolf was smiling. What made the wolf stand out the most was its startling blue eyes that Avery recognized instantly.
"Johnny, please get off of me." Avery wheezed, trying to shove him off of her, but he stayed where he was. Instead, he started to lick her cheeks.
Oh my god Johnny!" Avery squealed, and finally pushed Johnny off of her. He slumped over on his side, looking pathetic. Avery slowly stood up and took a deep breath.
"Oh get up, don't act like it's the first time you've been rejected." Avery told him. The wolf whimpered, his ears folded downward. After Avery gave him no reaction, he whined, and sulked back into the break room, shutting the door with his tail. After about 10 seconds, a boy, about 16, emerged from the room. He had tanned skin, with jet black hair, the same color as his wolf as well as the beautiful blue eyes. He was shirtless, with just basketball shorts on. Johnny was smiling widely, his dimples standing out.
"Hey babe, glad you finally came so I can take you on that date I promised." Johnny slid his arm around Avery's waist, his hand resting on her hip.
"Okay Johnny. First of all, I declined that offer because you were 14. Second, you aren't legal yet. Third, you know I'm into someone else." Avery told him, looking up at him since he was  about 7 inches taller than her.  Johnny rolled his eyes, and tightened his arm around her waist.
"Baby girl, age is just a number, and I know you're a cougar. Just admit it so our love can live on." Johnny smiled down at Avery, who had a straight face.
"Not that I don't enjoy this little game we play every time we see each other, but I'm here on business, sort of. I'm looking for Derek." Avery peeled Johnny's arm from her waist. He frowned as the loss of contact.
"What do you need Derek for? You know my older brother can't satisfy like I can." Johnny grinned and tucked a piece of Avery's hair behind her ear. She shook his hand off of her, a smile on her face.
"Johnny! Am I going to have to convince Avery to file sexual harassment charges on you?" A voice boomed, and Johnny jumped and hid behind Avery. She turned around and smiled when she saw Derek, who looked like and older version of Johnny. He was very tall, at least 6'5 with broad shoulders and tan skin with black hair that brushed the back of his neck. The only thing that was different about the two brothers was that Derek had chocolaty brown eyes instead of Johnny's blue eyes. Avery looked behind her to see Johnny trembling behind her.
"Hey Derek, I need a new car." Avery got straight to the point, not wanting to chit chat. Derek nodded.
"Alright, let me rescue you from Johnny boy over here, and I think I have exactly what your looking for." Derek put his arm around Avery's shoulder, and stated to lead her away from Johnny, who was still shaking.
"Johnny, put a shirt on and you can join us!" Avery called back as she was escorted away from the break room.
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Okay guys first of all, thank you for 350 views! I really appreciate it and I'm so happy that people are reading this story. Second, I'm leaving for summer camp today! While in writing this my dad is telling me we need to leave so we won't be late! I won't have my phone for 2 weeks, so there won't be an update but as soon as I get back I'll be writing the next chapter. While I'm gone I would LOVE if we could get this story to 400 views? I would be so happy if that happened. Any ways, I gotta go and I'm so sorry that this chapter ended so weirdly, I really wanted to get a chapter out before I left. Bye guys!!!

Published on 7/10/16