Chapter 8

It had been a week since Lucy arrived, and her and Avery had been catching up ever since. The two were chatting while training, as Avery wanted to take Lucy on a mission as well as they both needed to recover from their injuries. Lucy was attacking a dummy with her signature double ended sword, jabbing and slashing as she went. Avery had a simple seraph blade, her weapon of choice. She was practicing her defensive moves, blocking and rolling away from the inanimate dummy in front of her. Avery was determined to get out of her funk she had been in. Both Avery and Lucy turned in the direction of the door they heard slide open, and saw Izzy walk in with a platter filled with an array of sandwiches and she had two water bottles under her arms.
"Thought you guys would like something to eat." Izzy smiled as she walked over to a nearby bench and set the food down. As the other two girls approached, Izzy handed them the water.
"Thanks darling." Lucy tried as she plopped down on the ground. Avery grinned, and nodded in thanks at the water.
"I'm guessing you didn't make the sandwiches?" Avery asked, picking up a roast beef and mozzarella sandwich and eyeing it suspiciously. Izzy laughed.
"You guessed right. I picked them up at the deli down the street." Izzy replied, picking up a turkey sandwich and started to eat.
"So, who's dating who? I gotta know, I'm a bit nosy." Lucy asked in between bites of her sandwich. Avery and Izzy looked up at each other, and Avery was silently begging Izzy not to say anything.
"Well, Alec is my brother, so no incest going on there. Jace is like my brother; my family took him in when he was 10. Avery on the other hand, well, she gets around." Izzy smirked while Avery's eyes widened. Lucy nearly choked on her sandwich as she turned around and looked at Avery, whose cheeks were burning a tomato red.
"Is this true!?" Lucy exclaimed, her eyes wide with surprise.
"No! I do not 'get around'. Yes, Jace and I were in a relationship when I first got here, that's it." Avery shot back, glaring at Izzy.
"And what about Alec? Are you seeing him?" Lucy asked, raising an eyebrow.
"Well, they both like each other, but won't admit it." Izzy interjected, awarding her another glare from Avery.
"I do not like him, and he doesn't like me. End of discussion." Avery growled, putting down her uneaten sandwich and returned to attacking the dummy with her sword. Lucy and Izzy looked at each other with concern. Lucy stood up.
"Ariana, I didn't mean to upset you. I'm so sorry." Lucy said calmly, looking Avery with concern.
"Sorry for what?" A voice asked, and the girls turned their heads to see Alec and Jace walk in. Avery's breath hitched slightly when she saw Alec, the grin on his face was absolutely captivating. Avery shook herself out of her trance, looking at Lucy, who was lacking an excuse.
"She's sorry for eating my sandwich, I was looking forward to it." Avery replied, looking at Lucy with slight anger. Alec turned his head to look at the turkey sandwich in Lucy's hand. He chucked.
"You don't even like turkey," he laughed and grabbed a sandwich from the platter and took a bite, "this is pretty good though, I can see why you're upset." Alec walked back over to Jace. As he was about to take another bite, Jace grabbed the sandwich from Alec and took a bite. Alec looked heartbroken.
"This is a damn good sandwich. " Jace muttered. Alec glared at him, and sighed.
"So, what did you need?" Izzy asked, stepping towards her brother.
"I was wondering if you guys were up for a mission later tonight, at pandemonium. We've gotten some tips about the ambush at the mall." Alec stated, his eyes trailing towards Avery as he spoke of the attack. Avery smiled at Alec slightly, absentmindedly tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear.
"Do we know anything about what happened to me?" Lucy asked, stepping toward Alec, which made Avery uneasy for some reason.
"We think the two attacks are connected somehow, and I'm hoping we get information on both. Don't worry," Alec placed a hand on Lucy's shoulder, "we'll find out what happened to you. " Alec smiled at Lucy, who smiled back. Lucy stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Alec's neck, and he hugged her back. Avery's eyes widened slightly, and she felt something inside of her break. Avery felt tears start to form, which snapped her back to reality. Avery cleared her throat, and looked at her watch.
"Well, it's three ish, we better start getting ready." Avery informed the group. Alec and Lucy broke apart their hug, Alec running his hand through his hair nervously.
"We aren't leaving till eight. Why do you need to start getting ready now?" Jace asked.
"You know, I gotta shower and stuff, bye." Avery mumbled as she pushed past everyone and walked to her room. Izzy knew that something was wrong with her best friend , but she needed to pretend nothing was wrong.
"Yeah, we girls take a while to get ready. I mean it's pandemonium and we need to look nice. Come on Lucy, let's get you ready." Izzy grabbed Lucy's hand and dragged her out of the room before she could say anything. Jace and Alec watched the girls as they left the room.
"Alec, I question your intelligence sometimes. " Jace said, clapping his hand on Alec's shoulder.
"What do you mean?" Alec asked. Jace narrowed his eyes at Alec, and removed his hand.
"If you can't tell, then you don't deserve to know." Jace growled slightly, and stormed out of the training room. Alec was left alone, a puzzled look on his face.
"What did I do?" He muttered to himself.
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

So I finally uploaded a chapter!! Guys school ended today! I somehow pulled off straight A's for the semester and I wanted to sob.
Anyways, there was so much I wanted to write but what happens next wouldn't really make sense in this chapter, so be looking for another update in the next couple of days or so. Sorry it's so short!
Please vote for the chapters, and leave your feedback in the comments!

Published 5/19/16