Chapter 2

Avery's eyes fluttered open, and she sighed. Avery went to block the sunlight that was streaming through the closed curtains next to her when she groaned in pain, and put her hand back down. She squeezed her eyes together, trying not to cry from the pain she was in. Avery looked around, careful not to make any sudden movements that would cause her more pain than she was already in. She saw that she was in the infirmary, judging by the sterile white walls and the crisp bedsheets on the hospital beds beside her. Avery looked down next to her right hand, and saw that there was a bedside remote, the kind that could be used to buzz in a nurse or raise the bed. Avery grabbed it, and brought it on top of her chest so she could see the buttons. Once she discerned which ones would be helpful to her, she pressed the button that would raise the bed so she could be in a sitting position. It hurt a little bit, but it didn't hurt as much as if she would have sat up by herself. Once she was in a complete sitting position, Avery pulled the blanket off of her that she was wrapped around in like a child swaddled in a blanket. She sighed, and threw her legs off the bed, so her feet were dangling. Avery's breath hitches at the sudden sharp pain she felt. She sat there for about a minute before she mustered up the strength to stand. She gripped the bed borders that kept her from falling out of bed, and gently slid off of it. She didn't fall, but she almost did, and gripped onto the bed for dear life. Once the pain subsides from her attempt to stand, Avery stood up completely. She felt a substantial less amount of pain, and assumed that she just needed to stand up an walk around for the pain to dull down. Avery looked forward to the wall, and observed herself in the floor length mirror. Her hair was in a French braid that ended at about her hips. She had very long ruby red hair that she needed to cut, but never wanted to make the commitment of short hair. She saw that she was wearing a long sleeved shirt that was about 2 and a half sizes to big for her, so it was extremely baggy and long for her. It went down to right above her knees, and the sleeves dangled past her hands about half an inch. Avery wondered where the shirt came from. She brought her sleeve to her nose, and breathed in the scent. Avery smiled. The shirt smelled of Christmas trees and mint. It smelled like Alec. Avery instantly felt calmer and happier when she could smell Alec's scent. It was a fancy cologne Avery had gotten Alec when she took her first trip alone to Idris. Avery balled the ends of her sleeves in her hands, and started to walk out of the infirmary when she heard footsteps. Avery froze, waiting to see who the person was. She looked at the door leading into the infirmary, and saw Alec walk in. His face lit up when he saw her awake.
"Avery!" Alec yelled, running and scooping her up in his arms, careful not to irritate her injuries. Avery laughed as Alec spun her around, and she held onto his neck with her head in the dip of his shoulder. Once he stopped spinning her, Alec gently lowered Avery to the ground. Avery's hands slid down to Alec's chest, and he had his hands on her hips.
"I'm so glad you're okay. You... you were out for 3 days. I was afraid you weren't going to wake up." Alec said, concern painted all over his face as he tucked a stray piece of hair behind Avery's ear. She raised an eyebrow at his statement.
"Wow, three days." She muttered. Avery looked up until Alec's eyes and sighed, a smile slowing forming on her face.
"Alec, don't worry. I'd never leave you." She said, bringing a hand up to caress his cheek. He grinned, and looked down to rest his forehead on Avery's. His grin slowly melted off his face as he stared into Avery's eyes. She moved her hands back onto his chest, and looked back at him. He leaned down, bringing his lips closer to Avery's. She closed her eyes, anticipating the kiss.
"Aver- what's going on here?" Isabelle asked, causing both Alec and Avery to jump back from each other and they were both awkwardly standing there."N-nothing, Izzy. I'm glad to see you." Avery said, and walked over and hugged her. Izzy hugged her back, and looked up at Alec, who had an irritated look on his face.
"Tell her." Izzy mouthed, glaring at her brother. He shook his head violently, and make gestures indicating that his response was no. The two siblings went back and forth mouthing "yes" and "hell no" before Avery pulled away from Izzy and had a puzzled look on her face.
"What were you two doing?" She asked, looking between Alec and Isabelle.
"Nothing." They both said simultaneously. Avery chuckled.
"Uh-huh." She laughed.
"I came in here, well one hoping you were awake, and two, if you were awake, to tell you that we need to hold a meeting about that ambush three days ago." Isabelle said. Avery sighed, and nodded.
"Alright. I guess I should go put some pants on." Avery chuckled, looking down at her bare legs. The two girls started to laugh, while Alec blushed slightly, and scratched the back of his neck.
"Okay, I'll be in the meeting room. Alec, come with?" Izzy asked. Alec looked at his sister, and then at Avery, and then back at Izzy. Isabelle's eyes widened, and she had a surprised look on her face.
"Oh! Okay. Well, I'll see you two in a minute." She said loudly and obnoxiously, making Alec blush a deeper shade of pink. Avery chuckled, and looked back at Alec. They stood there for a few seconds, awkwardly looking at each other.
"I.. I better get dressed." She mumbled, smiling. They stood there for a couple more seconds before Alec realized what she had said.
"OH, oh okay. I, I guess I'll wait for you?" He asked. Avery laughed.
"Yeah, I'd like that." She said. She started walking out of the infirmary, but she felt Alec's hands wrap around her waist, and pull her in for a tight hug. She smiled, and hugged him back.
"I'm really glad you are okay." He muttered into her ear. Avery nodded, her head buried in his chest. She stood there, breathing in the scent of Christmas trees and mint for what felt like hours, before they both pulled away.
"Alright, now I'm gonna change." She laughed, stepping away from Alec. He nodded, but held on to Avery's hand until she got far enough away that he couldn't hold it anymore. He watched her walk off out of the infirmary, and to her room. He had a huge grin on his face. He walked out of the infirmary, and turned the opposite corner when he bumped into Izzy.
"Alec! So, did you tell her?" She asked, linking arms with him as she escorted him to the meeting room.
"Tell her what Izzy?" He laughed, looking down at his sister.
"That you like Avery." She said, smiling. Alec laughed and shook his head.
"No, no that's crazy. I don't like her." Alec laughed.
"Oh that's right. No, you love her." Isabelle sang, and started skipping in front of her brother, and eventually into the meeting room.
"I don't..." Alec started, before he turned around, looking in the direction of Avery's room. He thought of the hug they shared, and how he almost kissed her.
"Well, maybe I do." He muttered to himself, smiling slightly. He turned on his heel, and walked into the meeting room.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Here's the 2nd chapter! Thought y'all would enjoy an Alec and Avery moment. What would their ship name be? Leave a comment, because I'm having a difficult time coming up with one.
I was supposed to write this on a 5 hour bus ride up to Indianapolis, but apparently my teacher never actually scheduled us for taking a field trip, and we never had a bus meet us at school! So I had to go to school, when I shouldn't have been there! Instead, I wrote this chapter in my Geometry class :)
Please don't forget to like and comment!

Published on 4-11-16