Chapter 3

Avery walked into her room, and shut the door behind her. She leaned against it, smiling from her interaction with Alec. Every time Avery saw Alec, she felt butterflies in her stomach, and whenever he touched her? Forget it! Those butterflies turned into birds flying around like crazy! She couldn't believe how happy Alec made her, but she didn't think that he liked her. For some reason, Avery thought that no one could love her. She sighed, and walked over to her closet. She pulled out a pair of black leggings, and pulled them on her body. Avery went to pull off the longsleeve, but she caught a whiff of Alec's cologne, and couldn't bring herself to do so. She let the loose fabric drop back down on her curvy frame. Avery ducked down and looked into her vanity mirror. Her hair wasn't horrible, and she was just too lazy to fix it. She tucked her bangs behind her ears.
"Get yourself together, Avery. Remember what you've been told. Feelings only get in the way of your line of work." She muttered mockingly, thinking of her mother when she was younger.
"Avery darling!" A woman with a thick British accent yelled, and a teenager, about 15, ran up to the woman.
"Yes mother?" Avery asked, her accent more delicate than her mother's.
"Honey, I'm sorry to say this, but you and Andrew, you can't be together anymore."  Her mother said, looking down at her daughter. Avery stepped back, taken aback by her mother's statement.
"Wha- what do you mean?" Avery asked, looking at her mother with anger in her eyes.
"Avery, my dear. One day you will understand, but your feelings will only get in the way of you line of work." Her mother replied, tucking a stray piece of her daughter's golden blonde hair behind her ear. Avery shook her head, causing the hair to fall back into place.
"What line of work? Mom, I'm in school! Feelings won't get in the way of good marks!" Avery replied, confusion in her face.
"Look, this is the right decision for you, and one day you will understand what I mean." Her mother said.
"Understand? Mom I don't understand a word you're saying. I love Andrew, and he loves me!" She yelled.
"You don't even know what love is Avery!" Her mother yelled back.
"Oh and as if you do? Look at where your 'love' for dad got him!" Avery screamed back. She looked at her mother, who had a shocked look on her face. Avery turned around, and stomped off, back up the stairs and into her bedroom. Avery's mother sighed, and looked at her hands. Very faintly, one could see the mourning rune drawn on her wrist. Avery's father had died 2 years ago, and her mother was still trying to cope. It was her mother's fault that her father had died. Avery's mother was drunk driving with her father passed out in the backseat, and only she was wearing a seatbelt. When the car crashed, her father was flung out of the window, and died on impact. Her mother walked away with only scratches.
Little did Avery know that that argument was the last thing she would ever say to her mother. That night, a group of rogue shadowhunters broke into their apartment, and slaughtered her mother. Avery found her mom dead the next morning. That afternoon, Avery found out that she was a shadowhunter, and went to live at the London institute for a year before she was transferred to the New York institute, where she met Alec. She hadn't spoken to or seen Andrew, her ex boyfriend, since her mother's murder.

Avery was snapped out of her daze when she heard someone yelling for her. Avery walked out of her room and shut the door behind her and started walking to the meeting room. Avery walked in, and looked around for Alec. She saw both Alec and Izzy sitting on a small couch, more like a love seat, with room for just her in the middle of the two. Alec looked up, and smiled when he saw that Avery was still wearing his shirt.
"It looks better on her than me." Alec thought to himself when Avery came and sat down in between him and his sister. Izzy leaned over and hugged Avery, happy to see her. When Avery sat back, she felt an arm lay across the back of the love seat, and it rested against Avery's shoulders. She looked at Alec through the corner of her eye, and saw that it was him. She smiled, and rested her head on his shoulder, and in turn he rested his head on top of hers. Jace walked in, and stepped to the table that had a 3D model of New York projected from it. He looked to the three on the couch, and smiled when he saw Avery and Alec. Jace cleared his throat, catching everyone's attention.
"Alright, now I hate meetings as much as the next person, but it's kinda a mandatory thing since I had to fill out and incident report, blah blah blah..." Jace trailed off, and everyone laughed.
"Incident report, why?" Avery asked, genuine confusion on her face. Jace raised an eyebrow.
"You don't remember?" He asked. Avery shook her head, and Alec sat up from his head on hers, and looked at her.
"Avery, what do you remember?" He asked. Avery breathed in, biting her lip. Avery looked over at Isabelle, who looked concerned.
"I, I remember Isabelle trying to make muffins, and almost burning down the kitchen. " Avery laughed, but the look on Izzy's face didn't change.
"What?" Avery asked.
"That was the morning of the mission." Izzy replied.
"So, you don't even remember the mission at all?" Jace asked. Avery shrugged.
"I mean, yeah I guess." She replied.
"Well..." Jace started before Alex raised his hand to stop him.
"I'll catch her up on the little things, let's just keep going." Alec said. Both Avery and Jace nodded.
"Okay, so we were meant to go check out the mall because we got Intel that it was being used for downworlder activity. When we got there, we were ambushed. That's why you're so sore, Avery." Jace said, gesturing to her. She nodded in response. Jace walked around to the back of the table, and zoomed in on a point of the map to show the mall.
"We think that they were hiding out on the basement floor, and came up when we arrived. I think this was a planned attack." He said. Avery raised an eyebrow, looking throughly confused. Both Alec and Izzy had the same concerned expression on their faces.
"We need to go back and investigate, see how they could have gotten in and if they had left anything behind." Jace zoomed in closer on the mall, and stared intently at it. Avery stood up slowly, pushing herself off of Alec to get the leverage she needed.
"Well if we were attacked, it sounds like someone's out for our hides! We need to go there, like now!" Avery yelled, in an attempt to 'rally the troops'. Avery started walking to exit the room when Jace grabbed her wrist and spun her back into his chest. She landed there with a slight "oof".
"Woah there tiger, sorry but you can't come." Jace laughed, releasing Avery to stand on her own.
"What, what do you mean I can't come?" Avery asked, her voice full of shock.
"Avery, you were out cold for three days, and you lost a lot of blood. You need to rest and get your strength back. I couldn't live with myself if something happened to you." Alec replied, standing up and putting his hand in Avery's shoulder. She looked down at his hand, and then up at Alec. She sighed, and groaned.
"Alright...." She muttered, crossing her arms. Both Alec and Jace laughed.
"Alec, Izzy, and I are gonna check it out later tonight. Avery, you're gonna have to stay here and get some rest, okay?" Jace asked, Avery nodded.
"Yeah yeah yeah Jace. I get it." Avery mumbled. The three others laughed.
"Come on Avery. Let me make you lunch." Isabelle said, and dragged Avery to the kitchen. Jace looked over at Alec, who was staring longingly after Avery.
"Dude, just tell her. You know she likes you back. It's been so obvious since she got here 2 years ago." Jace said, clapping his hand on Alec's back. Alec looked at him.
"But what if you're wrong? I don't want to make things awkward. " he replied, running a hand through his hair. Jace laughed.
"Alec. Listen to me. You should see the way she looks at you. You make her so incredibly happy. Just tell her." Jace told him, shaking Alec by the shoulders.
"Alright, alright!" Alec laughed. Jace grinned.
"So when are you gonna tell her?" Jace asked as they walked out of the room towards the kitchen.
"Maybe tonight? I don't know. " He said as they arrived in the kitchen.
"Izzy!" Alec yelled as he saw his sister at the stove, a pan on fire. Avery was next to her, trying to extinguish it with a towel. Jace ran over, grabbed the pan, and stomped the fire out. He looked down, and saw burnt  slices of food.
"What were you trying to cook?" Jace asked.
"I was trying to make grilled cheeses!" Isabelle yelled in frustration. The other three laughed while Izzy stomped out of the kitchen and back to her room.
"I'm not even hungry. Actually, I'm just gonna take a nap." Avery stretched, yawning.
"Alright, go get some rest." Jace replied, wrapping his arms around Avery and hugging her. She went to her room, and they heard a soft click of a door closing.
"I'm gonna, go get her caught up. " Alec said, and ran off to follow her. Jace smiled, and started cleaning up the burnt food.
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Hey guys! This chapter didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted it to, but I have to get finished with my homework! We are doing mock debates in my English class. It's like hell on earth. I promise I'll have a chapter up tomorrow that has some cute Alec+Avery scenes.

Published on 4/12/16