Chapter 4

The picture above is Avery's room.

Avery walked into her room, and she heard the soft click of the door closing behind her when she walked into her room. Avery looked around her room. Avery's bed was made of dark oak, and had pillars shooting up that were intricately carved with curly design up to a wooden canopy. She had dark red matte bedding, with several red pillows with black stitching and fringe. She looked around the rest of her room, and saw a dark oak vanity with a large mirror, and a dresser with similar detailing to the bed. Across from her vanity there was a simple dark oak desk with a few drawers and a chair. Avery walked to her closet, a small indentation in the wall with clothes hung up in it. She peeled off her leggings, since she was hot, but didn't want to take off Alec's sweater. Avery walked over to her bed and was about to lay down when she realized she did not see her stele anywhere.
"My stele... now where did I leave that?" She asked herself. Avery started searching through her dresser and desk.
"I know I had it just a few days ago..." She muttered.
"Looking for this?" A voice asked. Avery turned around, and saw Alec standing in her doorway while twirling her stele. They both smiled when they saw each other.
"Yeah, how'dju know?" Avery asked walking up to Alec and crossing her arms.
"Oh, y'know, I'm just that good." He said, trying to keep a straight face, but they both ended up laughing. Alec handed Avery her stele, and she could have sworn she felt a jolt of electricity when she touched him.
"Thanks." Avery replied before she put her stele on her nightstand.
"You're welcome. I actually came here because I wanted to get you caught up on what happened. Alec said, walking over to Avery with his hands in his back pockets. Avery nodded, and sat down on her bed. Avery grabbed her black fuzzy blanket and pulled it over her bare legs.
"Sit." She said, patting the bed next to her. Alec grinned, shaking his head slightly. Alec kicked off his shoes, pulled his seraph blade out from his pants waistband, and set both his stele and blade on the nightstand opposite Avery's. He pulled off his hoodie, leaving him in a black tank top. He set that on the edge of the bed. Alec climbed into bed with Avery and sat next to her. He sat close to her, the sides of their bodies pressed up against each other. Avery threw the other half of the blanket over Alec's legs. Avery pulled the blanket up to her chin, and rested her head against Alec's shoulder. He was grinning the whole time.
"Alright Alec, tell me a story." She said in a kid like manner. Alec laughed.
"So, we had gotten an anonymous tip that the Kaiser Family mall was harboring demons. Our first mistake: trusting an anonymous tip." Alec told her, and Avery giggled. Alec looked down at Avery and grinned. He loved her laugh.
"Well, we all got there and split up. That's when we were ambushed by the demons. You were attacked by. Ravener demon." Alec said. He went and grabbed Avery's hand delicately, as if it was glass. Avery got the flock of birds in her stomach when he touched her. Alec gently rolled Avery's sleeve up, revealing several burn marks. Avery flinched a bit when Alec dragged her sleeve up.
"You... were burned, and you broke some ribs. You... you also had a concussion. I killed the demon, and found you almost unconscious. After I started drawing a healing rune on you," Alec's fingers traced over the rune he had drawn on the inside of Avery's wrist, "you passed out. I took you with me, and we found Jace and Izzy. We got out of there, and brought you back here. We've been investigating the attack ever since we got back. " he concluded. He was now holding Avery's hand in between both of his. Avery looked at Alec's hands, thinking.
"I, I think I remember that. Fighting the Ravener demon, and I remember you finding me..." She trailed off. Alec looked down at Avery, the concern he felt that day written all over his face.
"Alec, I'm so sorry. I don't know what happened. I just froze. I never do that." She confided in him. Alec shook his head, and wrapped his arm around Avery's shoulders, and pulled her into his chest.
"It's not your fault. It happens." He told her. Avery sighed.
"Yeah, I guess," She muttered, and then yawned, "man am I tired." She trailed off. Alec smiled. He loved the way she scrunched up her shoulders and rubbed her eyes when she was tired.
"Yeah, you better get some rest." Alec said, and threw the blanket off of his legs. He was about to get out of the bed when Avery grabbed his arm. She looked at him for a second before she wrapped her arms around his neck, moving so that she was straddling his legs, and hugged him tightly. Alec in turn wrapped his arms around her waist, burying his face in her shoulder.
"You're leaving to check out the mall in a few aren't you?" Avery asked, her arms still tight around his neck. He nodded. Avery pulled away, and looked him in the eyes.
"Be careful please? I don't know what I'd do with myself if you got hurt. Promise me you'll be safe. Avery asked him. He nodded.
"Of course." He replied, smiling. Avery smiled back at him. He hugged her back to his chest, their foreheads touching. There lips were only centimeters apart. Alec went to kiss her when he heard Jace yell his name. The two jumped away, Avery sitting back on Alec's knees.
"I guess I better get going." Alec chuckled. Avery nodded, and rolled off of Alec's legs back into her spot next to him. Alec threw his legs off of the bed, and reluctantly stood up. He grabbed his seraph blade and stele and put them back in their rightful places. Alec walked to the door, and put his hand on the doorknob. He turned around and looked at Avery. She waved at him, a small smile on her face.
"I lov-" Alec started, and then sighed, "night Avery." He concluded, smiling at her.
"Night Alec." She replied, smiling back at him. Alec waved back, and opened the door and slipped out. Avery looked at the door, still wishing she was in his arms. She looked down at the bed, and saw he left his hoodie. Avery grinned, and grabbed it. She pulled it on her, and was overwhelmed with a sense of calm when she inhaled his iconic cologne. Avery shuffled into the bed, laying on her side, and she pulled the blanket up to her waist to keep her legs warm. Avery soon fell asleep, feeling comforted and safe in Alec's hoodie.
Alec closed the door behind him, and then realized he had left his hoodie. Alec turned back around and opened the door.
"Hey Avery I-" Alec started when he saw Avery was asleep with his hoodie on her. He grinned.
"You can keep it." He said quietly, loving the way she looked so happy and content. He slowly and quietly closed the door, and went to go find Jace.
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Hey guys! Sorry it's kind of a short chapter, but I really wanted to get one up tonight.
Have you ever had a dream that was so good that you can turn it into a story idea? If not, it's an amazing experience. I had such an amazing dream last night, which I can turn into an AWESOME scene in the book that I know y'all will love, but it'll have to wait till later in the book.
I can't guarantee an update tomorrow. I have a golf meeting for the next school year to go to and I have still tons of homework to do. I'll try my best! Anyways, hope you enjoyed the chapter!