008 ; Formal Plan

Chapter Eight
Formal Plan

---

Flashing lights circled the air in the school gym, making Peyton feel nauseated. Her arm was linked with Liam's as he escorted her into the crowds of students and pumping music. He glanced at her sideways as if he was unsure what to say.

Peyton swallowed and looked around the dance. Everything she'd been doing the past week had lead to this moment. All of the pack's planning, late nights and sneaking around. Not to mention how her and Liam had to do their own sneaking around and snooping separate, still searching for some clue that would lead them to finding out what she was.

"So, we'll just go to the school?" Peyton asked, looking across the tiny glass coffee table at Stiles.

He nodded slightly in response and tilted his head, looking down at the maps and papers that were covered in notes. "Go to school and act like nothing is wrong. Whoever is doing it has made a point to show us they know who we are." Stiles answered.

The girl took in a deep breath. "Until you send us a message."

"We don't know if this is even going to work," Liam interjected, walking into the room. He looked at Peyton, who put her head down and looked at the papers in front of her.

"Every death has happened here." Stiles explained, "Casey Walter. She's the girl whose body was found in the gym."

Peyton turned her attention towards the portable corkboard Stiles was pinning the girl's picture to. "The other girl; Grace Halt." He grabbed another thumb tack and stuck her picture to the board, next to Casey's.

"She was found at Peyton's house, but they found proof two days ago that she'd actually died at the school before being dragged to your house." Stiles glanced around the room at everyone, making sure they were comprehending the details they'd already heard a million times.

Peyton rose to her feet and looked at the board, her arms crossed over her chest. "Look here." She said, pointing to the board. "Both girls died in the gym. Exactly two weeks apart from each other."

"And if we're looking for to stop a third-" Stiles started.

"This Saturday," Liam spoke up, earning the attention of the room. "The fall formal. It's in the gym."

Everything was changing all too quickly. Days before Peyton would've laughed until her face turned blue if you'd told her she was a shape-shifting demon wolf. But now here she was, linking arms with a werewolf when she herself could turn into a creature of the night.

Insanity. That's all this was.

Liam took a step forward, pulling Peyton back into reality. She opened her eyes, not noticing that she'd even had them closed in the first place, and looked at the werewolf. He was staring off into the distance as if he saw something she couldn't.

"What is it?" Peyton whispered, leaning her head close to his to try and see what he was looking at.

He shook his head, having to be pulled back into reality as well. "N-No," he stuttered, "I just don't know about this."

Peyton tilted her head at him. "Not having second thoughts, are you Dunbar?" She asked him with a sly grin.

"Not about me." Liam said, his tone quivering a bit as he turned to look at her. Peyton saw him swallow as if it was the first time he was really taking in all of this plan.

What did he have to be worried about anyways? She was the one risking herself. Well, her and Lydia.

The truth came rushing into Peyton's head suddenly, as if she was opening her eyes to the whole situation for the first time. But she couldn't think about that. Not now.