Grand Avenue (Norminah)

A/N: This was posted on 5hfanfiction on tumblr originally, but it was removed about a day later for whatever reason.

"Locomotive to Grand Avenue Station is now boarding. Next destination is approximately two miles away"

Normani sighed deeply as she listened to the automated voice over the intercom, she just wanted this horrible day to be over with. She'd been rejected by yet another modeling agency. The only reason she had moved to Queens in the first place was to pursue a modeling career, but reality was now setting in for her. Not everything was so easy, the only thing she had experienced in her month of living here was stress and confusion.

Sighing deeply, she stepped into the packed subway car. She tried not to pay attention to the people who spoke harsh words to her when she accidentally bumped into them as a result of the car surging forward. She watched as graffiti covered walls and old steel columns flew past her. This was what she wanted, a fast paced lifestyle in the chic, modern city of New York, right?

Several loud beeps and a stampede of people brought her out of her troubled thoughts. As she exits the car, she bumps into yet another person only this time she hears a crash followed by a feminine voice cursing loudly. Turning to her left, she was met with a beautiful blonde. As she remained motionless next to the girl who was fussing around with what looked like a now busted up Nikon, she examined her features. Light, naturally tanned skin, taut muscles flexing lightly, and intricate swirls and lines of a tribal tattoo covered the majority of her left arm. Damn, this girl was absolutely stunning.

When the girl looked up, she noticed Normani and how she was checking her out. Smirking, she cleared her throat and watched as the slightly shorter girl snapped her head up with a light blush, obviously embarrassed about being caught.

"I-I'm so sorry! I wasn't looking where I was going, I'll pay for the camera..." She trails off as she notices that the girl is chuckling.

"Relax, it's just the lens that's broken. About the only good thing about Nikons really. I'm Dinah," she says with a charming smile.

"Normani. Sorry about your cam- uh your lens. Really, I can buy you a new one." Yeah, she feels bad, but does she really want to pay for a lousy camera lens? Of course not, it's already hard enough paying rent in her overpriced apartment.

"Nonsense, but please for the sake of other people and yourself- please watch where you're going."

"Sure, I will." she just smiles at Dinah, what else was she supposed to do?

After a few long, awkward seconds Dinah offers to treat the taller girl to some drinks. With intentions of having a few drinks to get her mind off of her hectic day, Normani accepts with a small smile.

Walking out into the cold, crisp environment that is New York in the fall, they chat lightly and it's then that she discovers that Dinah is extremely cocky. She came off as charming at first, but now it's just annoying. They pass up Normani's apartment building and just when she thought she couldn't take another minute of Dinah's failed attempts at flirting, they arrive at a small, elegant building that has 'Angel Walk Lounge' in bold, cursive letters on a maroon overhang. When they get inside, they are met with the strong aroma of cinnamon and wine. It's cozy  she thinks as she walks over to the counter.

"What would you like, Miss?"

Startled by the sudden voice, Normani turns around to see Dinah behind the counter tying an apron around her waist.

"What are you doing behind the counter? Dinah you could get in serio-"

"Relax, Babe. I kind of own this place, well co-owner, but you get the point." Dinah says with a proud smile as she grabbed a shot glass and set in on the counter.