Part 76 - The Price of Peace

Start from the beginning

Okay, so maybe the dishonest part of the definition was correct. Sammy's father had died on a raid, his mother during Brandon's coup. But the boy was playing his part well. Tears glistened in his little blue eyes, and he half-hid behind my brother. That one was a rogue through and through.

We weren't moving them. That much was clear.  Jace just looked away. Some of the other Alpha shifted uncomfortably in place, but that was all. Only Zach looked bored, which said quite a lot about his character. Not perceptive enough to care if we were lying, and not compassionate enough to give a damn either way.

"I'm sure you're not all evil," Alpha Chris allowed. "But enough of you are. This threat cannot be allowed to continue."

"Our decision is final," Keith agreed.

But it was Zach who summarised that decision. "We're not going away, Skye. One way or another, the castle will fall."

The six of them gave me a look that was nothing less than dismissive. I stood my ground, glared an awful lot, and set my jaw. I was in an aggravating mood, but not suicidally so. My family retreated at a nod from me — whatever reason I was still alive and free probably didn't include them.

Jace recognised my stance and went for the tactful option. "Could you give us a minute? Please?"

It took almost a minute, but eventually the Alphas dispersed, perhaps realising it would be less effort than making me leave. That left me alone with Jace Lloyd, once again.

"So I couldn't convince them, surprise surprise. What will happen now?"

"We could take the castle by force. It would be costly for our men, but we could do it. The alternative is this. You go in — convince them to surrender. I can promise amnesty for anyone who comes quietly. Males of fighting age will be killed or sent to the prison camp at Corwen. That's non-negotiable. But the women and children will be free to go wherever they wish, as long as they never set foot on pack land," Jace told me.

"Free," I said bitterly. "Free to leave their family and home behind and start a new life in a world which hates them."

"At least they'll have lives. If it were up to Keith, the north would be a rogue free zone already."

"And me? I can't see him letting me skip off into the sunset."

"You really need to ask?" he said wearily. "The packmeet sealed your death warrant, Skye. And your mate's. The best I can promise is that it will be quick — and that alone required hours of argument that you're not without some morals. They agreed that it is Rhodric, not you, who poses the greatest threat to us. You'll need to tell us where he is."

"Dead," I snapped.

"I'm sorry." I think he might really have meant it, which just made me feel twice as awful. "That was another part of the deal. Rhodric's head on a platter."

"So you would have killed him anyway." It wasn't a question. I didn't doubt that he would have done it.

"For the sake of peace — yes. I gave your civilians a second chance, Skye. Don't screw it up. And your brother..."

"What about my brother?" I looked at Rhys, who took a step closer automatically. I had to shake my head. We didn't need a rogue-Alpha fight right now, however satisfying it might have been.

Jace set his jaw. "The other Alphas want him dead as well. He's male, and according to them, that makes him more dangerous. It's like you said. That boy has been raiding since he was seven years old. There's not a pack in all the north who hasn't lost fighters to Rhys Llewellyn. And, well, I was outvoted."