Chapter 1

Simple Life

"When life is too easy for us, we must beware or we may not be ready to meet the blows which sooner or later come to everyone, rich or poor."

Eleanor Roosevelt

  There I was, in one of the Vault's security rooms, overlooking the many monitors giving live video feed of the hallways and rooms. Occasionally, I'd switch some monitors to different rooms and hallways to appease my boredom. It's like this everyday, It makes me look forward for the rotation, when I get patrol duty.

  Then again... Hardly anything happens during patrol duty. Hmph, at least I get some exercise. 

 I just sat there in my little office chair, staring at the console. Not sleeping, not blinking, just staring. I wonder what was going on in my head, I just dosed off. Staring at a high definition video feed of a empty hallway all day wouldn't hurt my sanity would it? That added to the constant low humming and occasional beeps created by the high tech console

  One arm resting on the metallic table while the other holds up my face with it's curved fist.

  My name is Ken Mierson, and this is just an average day in Vault Omega 26

“Hey asshole, you awake?”

Said a staticky voice coming from the console. I jump out of my trance and turned my attention to the console to reply.

“What is it, Liam? I’m in the middle of something” I said with an annoyed voice. “Oh sorry Ken! Did I ruin your naptime again?” said the voice with great sarcasm.”Oh fuck off, Liam. What do you want?”

“The Overseer wants to see ya in his office” Liam responded. I grunted and said “Alright, I'm on my way”.

  Getting up from my chair, I walked down the gray hallways to get to the atrium, then up the elevator to the Overseer's office.

  This isn't the first time I met the guy, though he's usually busy what with being the leader of the whole damn vault.

  Now passing through the infirmery, wonder if I can get a quick snack? No.. There would be another officer on post, and I'd be reported. Oh well. I guess I'll get a gronola bar later. The infirmery was usually a hang out spot for kids finishing their classes. They would buy a drink and just watch the telivsion they have there, frankly I get bored of those same old cartoons.

  I passed through a few people, young and old. Some were doctors, engineers, or still in school. I didn't aknowledge them as always, and they didn't aknowledge me.  Just the way I like it.

 I'm not a special guy. I didn't make many friends in school because I was such a nervous little fuck. I’d get bullied and teased all the time. Luckily, Liam was always there, he’s like a brother to me always watching my back. He would pick on the bullies that pick on me and keep me accompanied as a friend.

 In vault O-26 (‘O’ being short for Omega since There are several other vaults that begin with that name) The Vault itself is made up of several floors of hallways and rooms. I'd say the current population is around 4,000 people. Thankfully there is plenty of room inside the Vault, we're as big as a small town.

  Everyone here had to wear the Vault's jumpsuits. Basically a uniform we all wear that covers the neck down to the ankles, it's colors are of blue with yellow stripes and despite how it looks it's actually really comfortable.

  One size fits all, and there are several variations of the jumpsuit. Variations such as the utility jumpsuit which are more fitted for engineers and maintenance workers, the medical jumpsuit which carries it's own med kit for the doctors we have here, and finally the one I'm wearing right now: The Security Jumpsuit.