“I’d protect you with my life, you know that” he kissed me briefly “Stick by my side…don’t move”

Soon I heard a scream and my heart beat rocketed “Fire! Fire!” a small girl burst in tears streaking down her face. There was chaos.

Brendan looked pale “Oh my…”

“It’s alright guys” I panted as we jogged towards the door along with the panicking student body “We’ll just get out”. We got to the school entrance and discovered it locked. I could smell the smoke, building up.

“Oh no…” there were more anguished cries…more screams.

“My parents are here!” one girl cried “And my little brother!”

Blake’s eyes widened and he took of down the corridor.

“Blake!” I was running after him, attempting to be heard above the panicked screams. We burst into our homeroom to see Blake’s mum cradling Lou.

“Are you okay?”

She nodded “They said it’s in the science wing, but it’s spreading!”

“Why are the doors locked!” Blake shouted picking Lou up in his arms he rushed to a window “Their closed and the glass is PVC, it’s not breakable!”

“Baby stop” I rushed to him as Lou began to cry “It’s okay honey we’ll get you out” Lou looked unconvinced and I took her from Blake, taking off my oversized hoodie and wrapping it around her.

“Why don’t you and mummy sit under the table here and play some games?”

Her bottom lip quivered “Are we going to die?”

I shook my head “Of course not honey”

“Blake!” he whipped around looking pained “We’ve got to get help!”

He nodded and pushed past me to the corridor. It was engulfed in flames.

I gasped “Oh god…”

Blake raised back into the room and produced a fire blanket.

“Get under Renee” he was coughing already “Quickly!”

My eyes watered and I obeyed we pushed through the heat and I let out a cry as it singed my arm.

“Renee! Are you okay?”

I nodded “We have to get people out!”

We got to a clearing and froze in our tracks. Jasper Simpson sat on the stairs, Marie by his side. Ashley soon emerged from an adjacent classroom.

“I wondered when we’d find you” I gaped at Marie who wouldn’t meet my eye.

“Marie?” I chocked on the tears I had built up.

“Shut up” Jasper snapped “Don’t talk unless you’re spoken to!”

I gave a bitter laugh “Are you crazy? Half the town is in this building!”

“Half the town ruined my life!”

Ashley nodded “I loved him!”

“You’re sick!” Blake snapped “Sick!”

Jasper didn’t put his arm around Ashley like I expected, but around Marie “Tell them honey”

I felt sick.

Marie smiled “We’re engaged”

I let out a muffled sob “How could you?”

“How could she not?” Jasper gave a sick smile “And now this whole town will suffer the consequences”

“And you will too” Blake snapped “How will you get out?”

“We won’t” Marie growled “We’re getting married in here”

Just then Ashley pulled out a shaking man from a closet behind her “The vicar’s here”

“But I thought it was you and Ashley!”

“That was kid’s stuff” Ashley muttered “Notice I said “loved”

Blake shook his head, gripping my hand and leaning closer as the smoke grew thicker, he coughed “I love you more than anything Renee, I love you so much” my tears were blurring my vision and I couldn’t even make out the words Marie and Jasper spoke to each other.

Just then I looked up at the sobbing Vicar “Do you…do you take this woman as your wife?”

Jasper smiled sickenly “I do”

The vicar was frail and I felt unimaginable sympathy “Do you take this man as your husband?”

There was a pause “I do” she said confidently “Not” she gripped his hand, spun him around and kicked him to the floor whipping out a gun from beside her. “You think I’d marry scum like you?”

Marie turned to me “I’m so sorry babe, it was my plan all along”

I knew it “God I was seriously going to kick your ass” I said through my tears I didn’t see Ashley rise up and lift a gun, I didn’t see her aim it.

A bang. A scream. A shattered life.