PART III: Chapter 14

CHAPTER 14 – DANCE, DANCE

The Sweethearts dance came. I helped Mikey slick back his hair and assured him he looked great. He nervously placed himself behind the wheel, still a little weirded out that he didn't actually have his license. I sat at home binge watching episodes of Doctor Who, and I have to say, I think I got the better end of that bargain. No date awkwardness, no girl drama, and plenty of time to bask in my secret nerdiness.

Ray refused to tell us anything until we got back to school, as much as we tried to get him to at least tell us if it went well or not. But he wanted to be somewhere he could tell us in person. I asked Mikey how it went, but he said he had also promised Ray he wouldn't say a thing.

Simply the fact that he came home smiling was enough news for me.

***

"We really just spent time in the library, for the most part," Ray told us at lunch the next day. "Once Christa took a break from dancing and sat down, I picked up a book on dairy products. Or sex. Or something. It was kind of disturbing but totally worth the time."

"With how cryptic you were being," I smirked, "I half-expected you to say you did her."

Frank choked on his sandwich.

"Whoa. It was our first date technically. Although," he continued, leaning forward ominously, "we did kiss."

"Ooh," we all simultaneously ooh-ed.

"How was your night, Mikey?" I asked.

He looked like he had just snapped out of a daze. "Ah, it was fun," he answered simply.

"Mom was impressed you were going out with an older girl," I mentioned. Mikey only nodded in acknowledgement, and I didn't press him for more details. If he didn't want to share any more, I guess that was up to him. I shifted the subject over after a minute of dead air.

"Have you written any new songs?" I asked him. "I thought I heard you playing last night a little bit."

I had talked to Mikey that weekend about maybe considering playing bass more often, if it made him happy – happy, of course, being used somewhat loosely in his context. He told me it was okay if I brought it up more often, because maybe it would help him. "If people know I play bass, maybe one day that's what I'll be known for, and I won't feel so weird about it," he'd said.

"Any what now?" Ray asked, interested.

"That's right!" Frank exclaimed, remembering, "Gerard did say something about how you loved bass guitar, but would never admit it. I hear you're pretty good."

I had never seen Mikey blush in the sixteen years I'd known him, but here he was, red as a rose. "I... I like to write songs to play on my bass guitar. It's a hobby. Yeah, I wrote one after I got home from the dance and finished it last night."

"Aw! Did you write it about her?" Ray asked, like that was the cutest thing he'd ever heard of.

"No."

Beat.

"Do you think you'll ever share it with us?" I asked, trying to only sound curious.

"No."

The bell rang to save us from whatever else could have possibly tried to restart that.

***

As time passed, I got Mikey to open up a little bit more and a little bit more. I knew, no doubt, Mikey would get through whatever he was in that was messing with his emotions. It had crossed my mind to tell someone what he'd told me so that he'd get professional help, but Mikey and I were so close now, why would I ever want to break his trust? I was certain he was stronger than that. Some things are okay to fight off on your own. Right?

By the end of the month, we'd talked about his music enough that he felt comfortable bringing his bass in to school.

"I played it during orchestra," he told us, describing his experience with it the first day, "and people loved it! Of course, Hunter didn't, but that's okay. Then we had to go back to playing orchestra instruments, but it was definitely worth it."

"Good for you! Nice job, Mikey! Cool!" we chorused. It was encouragement enough to make him smile, just a little bit.