PART II: Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6 –FOOTBALL FIELD OF LIES

Frank and Ray, however, decided to take things into their own hands, without even consulting me first.

It took a week of lull, where nothing happened but classes, until one day, Friday, Frank looked between Ray and me and asked, "So, I hear there's a cheerleading practice after school today. Who wants to join me?"

Ray immediately smiled. "You know I do!"

"You both disgust me," I smirked. "Alright, I'll come."

Frank and Ray laughed in a way that made me think they knew something I didn't, but because of who they were, I didn't want to know.

After school, I told Mikey we'd be staying late, so he drove home without me (yes, illegally, but he was always fine).

We met up at the end of the football field, the opposite end line to where the cheerleaders were assembled. Ray and Frank exchanged a glance that looked suspicious to me, and then both charged ahead.

I attempted to call to them. "What are you doing? Hey, wait!" but to no avail.

I reluctantly followed them in a dead sprint, my head and my nose hating me for all the sudden movement. I was watching them ahead of me when I realized: they weren't heading for the cheerleaders at all. In fact, the cheerleaders hadn't even seen them.

I stopped dead in my tracks (which made me feel a little dizzy) and stood back to stare at my friends. They were charging at the kid in the mascot costume.

The blood rushed to my face, which made my nose throb and my head spin. So I sat in the cold grass and watched Frank and Ray tackle the mascot to the ground like I was watching a movie.

The head fell off to reveal the unmistakable blond head of Hunter. I laughed, partly out of relief, I will admit; it was good to know that it wasn't someone else wearing the costume right then.

Hunter's look of shock and struggle to wiggle his hands out from under Ray was fantastic. Frank and Ray were simpering at each other, trying not to laugh.

Once Hunter had escaped the costume in nothing but shorts, Frank casually stuffed his hands in his pockets and kicked the head around like a soccer ball. Ray was busy chasing Hunter around in circles. I was mesmerized by the fact that the cheerleaders were so oblivious (either that, or they really didn't care at all).

It's all fun and games until the teacher shows up.

The cheerleaders – stereotypical dumb blondes – literally did not notice anything until the football coach, Mr. O (no one actually knows his full name. Maybe not even his family; he gets really offended when you ask him what the O stands for, so he's always just been Mr. O), sprinted onto the field yelling.

I stopped smiling and stood up, trying to decide: Do I go towards them and try to help them out? Do I run away and let them take all the blame? Do I stand awkwardly here until it all gets sorted out?

I didn't have to decide. Mr. O waved the cheerleaders inside and turned to the three boys on the ground who were staring up at him in nervous anticipation. Mr. O pointed across the field at me. "YOU!" he bellowed. I jumped, tried to stand up straighter. "GET OVER HERE!"

I ignored my nose's pleas to stop moving so quickly and sprinted over there as quickly as I could.

Even though we were all right in front of him, Mr. O insisted on yelling. I glanced at Frank, who looked utterly petrified with fear.

"HOW DARE YOU ATTACK THIS YOUNG BOY COMPLETELY UNPROVOKED?? THAT IS BULLYING! AND THAT IS NOT OKAY!" He kept going off as I slowly went deaf. I hoped I wouldn't be bothered to write an apology letter or something dumb – especially to Hunter. "NOW, WHOSE IDEA WAS THIS?!"

Mr. O looked between the four of us with eyes bugging out slightly. The wind in the trees was the only thing filling the tense silence. I felt the sun beating down on my face, and I lazily wondered if I'd get a tan line – or a wicked sunburn - from the plaster keeping my nose in place. That would be unfortunate.

After about two minutes of silence while we all tried to puzzle out how to respond, Frank raised his hand. I wondered why he would bother raising his hand to ask a question, especially outside of school. What kind of a dork raises his hand to ask a question?

"Mine," he whispered.

Oh.

Mr. O's bug eyes landed on Frank. "Why?" Either he was done screaming, or I was so deafened by his previous screams that I couldn't hear him anymore.

"It wasn't unprovoked! Hunter broke Gerard's nose, and I wanted-"

"REVENGE??" he screamed in accusation.

Nope, I'm not deaf yet.

"No, he-"

"COME WITH ME, YOU TWO!!" Mr. O screeched, pointing at Frank and Hunter.

The two of them exchanged a glance – almost like they were suddenly on the same side. In a sense, they did have a common enemy now.

They obediently followed Mr. O into the school, and Ray and I were left on our own.

Good luck, I telepathically told Frank. I hoped he could hear me.